QTQ ? Maybe .

Something been on your mind that you have always wanted to ask and google is no help. Ask it here!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

QTQ ? Maybe .

Post by RBHarter »

I'm no stranger to BP and I've been running around with a few ........... alternative BP users .
Among other things they have been for a decade or so been making their own powder and dabble with everything from balsa to corn stock to poke stems for charcoal . They have screened it pucked it ground it and even tried to pellet it . As pellets it makes an interesting tracer/rocket motor sort of deal .

Several times I've broached the question what happens if we load screened black powder in a cartridge ?

That was the question .......

My concern in the iconic 45-70 is that I can scoop the case full , about 95 gr volume , and seat a 405 on it squashing the charge to whatever the volume is under the over powder card and lube cookie . Probably about 65 gr even seated to the 2.550 max of the Marlin .

So in the TC Hawkins this screen powder of mine takes about 145% to equal FFg and nearly 175% to get close to 777 . It's the same deal in a 1858 Rem . So Im not really worried about the volume conversions or the ignition . What I worry about is that fluffy screen powder settling away and making air space which is a bad thing .

Last I do have the tools the puck and grind the powder but I have a pound or so of screened with dextrose in it , not needed for compressed and ground powder , and it might be interesting to burn it up . The BlackHawk 45 Colts didn't enjoy the experience with FFg so I'm leaning more toward a closed breach and sealed chamber .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Mazo kid
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: QTQ ? Maybe .

Post by Mazo kid »

In my opinion (and it is only my opinion!) I don't think you will have any problems. You are filling the case with the powder and then compressing it to make room for the bullet. There should be little to no air in the cartridge after that. You need an air gap to create problems.

Return to “Question Of The Month”