January QOTM doesn't seem to be living up to it's name

Something been on your mind that you have always wanted to ask and google is no help. Ask it here!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: January QOTM doesn't seem to be living up to it's name

Post by Ranch Dog »

farmerjim wrote:RD 2 questions. In 22 cal you only list the 218 bee. Why no 222,223. 22-250, 220 swift ?
Well, because when you have the Marlin 1894CL in 218 Bee, you don't need the others. I did have a 336SC chambered in 219 Zipper. With the JM buying frenzy was at its zenith, someone offered me $2600 for the rifle and another $1700 for the factory new (still in the oiled paper) spare barrel I had. I'm not a fool.

Honestly, I'm a hunter thirty to fifty times over being a shooter and in my country, a 22 caliber rifle is a poor varmint rifle with the high grass, thick brush, and high winds that we have. City guys coming to their deer lease have them, but if a rancher is going coyote or bobcat hunting, he uses his deer rifle. Personally, I've found the 7.62x39 to be an excellent critter getter whether it be my Savage 10 FCM out to 300 yards or the Mini-30 inside 150.

When it comes to the Marlin 1894CL, I have all three (218 Bee, 25-20 Win, 32-20 Win), I find the latter to be the best coyote & bobcat cartridge. The 115-grain bullet will stop them hard. I tend to shoot coons and feral cats with the 218 Bee and 25-20 Win.
farmerjim wrote:Did I read correct, Are you going to try powder coating?
Eventually and only my pistol bullets. I will continue to lube my rifle bullets on the Lyman 4500 with White Label Lubes 2500+, I love the process of doing that. I will only powder coat the bullets that are used on the Load-Masters.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Im not going to itemize the cartridges , but , at least one in 22 , 25,26,27,28,30 , ,32 35/38/9mm , 40,452/458 calibers 20,16,12&10 ga plus ML in 36,44,45,&50 cal .
Among those I have at least 2 cartridges in the AR , 308 , Mauser ,06' families , 1 belted mag and 3 shotgun lengths , the short one isn't the one you'd guess .

I guess the only actions I don't have would be falling or rolling blocks and Trapdoor .
Flint , percussion and needle fire are available so I guess I need a match lock or a touch hole cannon . Better watch for a #1 or #3 too .

I'm pretty much in this for the money saved now just like when it started .
I actually started with 12 ga steel after a goose shoot that ....... another time .
I didn't want much but $12-18/25 3" mags that wouldn't cleanly take malards at 30 yd weren't getting it done for me . By the next season I was able to take Honkers at 40yd pass shooting again for under $6/25 . Then came the 06' that wouldn't shoot factory at $16-22/20 I must have had 12-15 boxes of 20 with 5-10 rounds out of them .

Now I have 2 pistols and 3 rifles that use cartridges that start around $35/box and get stupid from there . I shoot almost exclusively cast even where it seems really impractical . If I'm going to load it I may as well have the best reasonably effortless loads I can load .

Don't get me wrong I put a lot of effort into really great loads but I don't really go all OCD bench rest 60# steel block with a rifled hole attached to a single shot receiver effort . But I do expect every cast load to deliver at least as much as I can get out of factory ammo .
Pistols are easy and I load them cheap in sufficient quantity for my needs .
I'm past tinkering loads to death , pick a bullet , a powder and work a load up log it , and load a bunch of them .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
jdl447

Post by jdl447 »

farmerjim wrote:RD 2 questions. In 22 cal you only list the 218 bee. Why no 222,223. 22-250, 220 swift ? I love the 223 with 1.5 grains of 700X.
Did I read correct, Are you going to try powder coating?
223 with 1.5 grains of 700x do tell.
I’ve been messing around with the Lee 225-55 with Unique at 6.5 grains.
Shoots pretty good out to 75 yards in my Savage Axis.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

Other than the AR, my 223 is a single shot Handi. My cast 22 cal is the original Lee Bator 55 grain. I powder coat some of them, and Hi-Tek others. My load notes are down in the barn, but as best I can remember I was using 7 grains of Herco (a little slower than unique) on that gas checked bullet. For the AR, I used 22 grains of
H4198 to get it to cycle. The 1.5 grains of 700x was just subsonic in my gun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I shoot my Bee with my TLC225-50-RF. I've documented the load elsewhere on the forum, but here it is.

3-grains of Clays with the remainder of the case filled with BPI Buffer, it is extremely accurate.
Michael
Et2ss
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by Et2ss »

I load for a bunch. Outside of the 'ordinary' cartridges I snapped a quick pic of the more obscure.

After the pic I realized there's a few in a different room that didn't make it into the picture

30 Rem ( 310 dies and an adapter for modern presses)
22 Savage HP
7,65 Mauser

I also have reloaded 8mm in .321 & .323 sizes (the smaller for my commission rifles)
There are a few that I hand load without sizing dies.....11 x 52 Beaumont, 11x58mm Werndl
44-40, and a couple of others, I'm sure I've forgotten.

I did buy 2,000 rounds of reloadable 9mm Browning Long for my Swede M/07 pistol, but I can use my 9mm Luger dies to reload that

9x80Drilling
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by 9x80Drilling »

Interesting to tally up the cartridges I load for. As a list, I never gave it much thought.
Some of these I shoot often, some I no longer have weapons for, some I load for friends. Nearly all are loaded using Lee dies.
9x80Rm
9.3x74Rm
8x57JR and 8x57 JRS
.45 Colt
.22 Hornet for insert for drilling
.222 Rem
.32 long and .32 H&R mag for revolver and rifle insert for drilling
.32-20 Win for drilling insert
9mm Makarov for drilling insert
.357 mag
.270 Win
.280 Rem
.30-30 Win
.30-06 Springfield
.45-70 gov
12 ga 2 3/4" and 3"
16 ga
20 ga 2 3/4" and 3"
I really prefer handling rimmed cartridges. Just personal.
scotland
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by scotland »

I usually do volume. But only like 200 rounds or so.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

GasGuzzler wrote:
GRV01 wrote:When i talk about reloading to people that dont reload i say theres roughly three types of reloaders: hobbyists, economists, and perfectionists
+1 Agree but I still don't know what I am. I don't get to shoot hardly at all so the only time I load anything is if I get a new gun/caliber or a new gadget. I guess I'm an eco-hobbyist. I know I'm not a perfectionist (reloader).
I've fit in all those categories at one time. Allow me to add others, addiction, enjoyment, education, and zen. Handloading has saved me a little money as far a hobby. It was very educational when pursuing the perfect loads. When I'm sitting at my bench a certain quiet peaceful satisfaction fills me with enjoyment. Even when it is teaching me lessons that I ain't learned yet I walk away with a satisfaction that keep me coming back to the bench to figure it out, Repeatedly. ;)

Let me add playing with and learning how to properly use all the tools I've acquired is worth every penny I've spent. I own a lot of guns that need to be fed but now days I'd rather learn more about handloading than shoot. That's my take of a 60+ years of reloading, collecting and shooting "hobby". :roll:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ben Nelson

Post by Ben Nelson »

I reload 9 mm and 45 ACP for range practice. . .Don't know what constitutes "volume" in most minds, but I shoot and reload fewer than 3000 rounds per year. My 9 mm reloads are always with bullet types and weights that are the same as my carry ammo (124 or 147 gr hollowpoints). The only difference is that I use plated for reload practice ammo. 45's at this point are strictly to feed a new range toy - FNX 45.
Sons of the American Revolution . . . We're still here.

Return to “Question Of The Month”