05/17 - Using a Lee Dipper

Something been on your mind that you have always wanted to ask and google is no help. Ask it here!
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

05/17 - Using a Lee Dipper

Post by mikld »

Been pretty quiet around here foe a while now so mebbe a new question?

How many have perfected the use of dippers? When I used them a lot I could hold some pretty tight variations with powder charges. How about youz guys?
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: 05/17 - Using a Lee Dipper

Post by daboone »

Like every PM I've ever used dippers are very good with some powders and for me suck at others. Ball powders are at the top of the list of the easy to measure and stick at the bottom for me.

Richard Lee in Modern Reloading described the procedure that has works best for me. But it takes some practice and patience to get consistent measurements. Also the right container for dipping in is important. The best one I've found is a cut down retired Trail Boss bottle. I glued a coffee stir stick across the top to act as the credit card Richard Lee suggested to level the powder.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

I use the Lee dippers when I am working up new loads. I use the dipper to get close, then trickle to the exact weight. I will make one round and walk to the dirt mound behind the barn and fire to see how it functions in the gun. I will then make 5 and take them to my range at the back of my place. I am not that good with the dippers, but they do speed up loading test rounds for me.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

farmerjim wrote:I use the Lee dippers when I am working up new loads. I use the dipper to get close, then trickle to the exact weight. I will make one round and walk to the dirt mound behind the barn and fire to see how it functions in the gun. I will then make 5 and take them to my range at the back of my place. I am not that good with the dippers, but they do speed up loading test rounds for me.
Same for me I have no load that is a simple dip from bullet being seated. I wish it was that easy. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I just happened to work with a dipper this week. I have only one cartridge where my inventory load works out well. In fact, the Dipper has been the best delivery method for the particular powder; Trail Boss.

I've mentioned elsewhere on the forum that I use a Pyrex measuring cup to hold the powder and then use the Lee method of pushing the dipper down and away from you in the powder and then up. From there, I run a business card, a Titan Reloading business card because of the stiff paper stock it is cut from, flat across the top of the dipper.

The stats on the drop are usually better than any other delivery device is capable of producing. Of course, you are limited as to what the dipper set delivers. With Trail Boss, they are the only delivery method that I've found acceptable without weighing the charge.

My 218 Bee and TLC225-50-RF works well with the charge delivered with 1.0cc dipper.

I justed posted some stats comparing the use of a dipper with the Deluxe Perfect Powder Measure so the little yellow tool might be destined for a life back in the box. :cry:
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

That's cool I'll have to play with my dippers next time I do batch. They've been put up other than the ones that came with my deluxe dies +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!

Return to “Question Of The Month”