09/16 - Cast Bullet Designations

Something been on your mind that you have always wanted to ask and google is no help. Ask it here!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: 09/16 - Cast Bullet Designations

Post by Ranch Dog »

I good probably pull this casting stuff out for a stand alone topic?
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Ranch Dog wrote:I could probably pull this casting stuff out for a stand alone topic?
Yep! your knowledge and expertise would benefit all of us. I'd vote for a sticky on your advice on the how to of casting. Starting with the basics, tools, setup and layout. Then on to alloys, ladle versus bottom pour, mold types, casting temps, and temp control of pot and molds. Also the care and maintenance of the whole shebang.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:I could probably pull this casting stuff out for a stand alone topic?
Yep! your knowledge and expertise would benefit all of us. I'd vote for a sticky on your advice on the how to of casting. Starting with the basics, tools, setup and layout. Then on to alloys, ladle versus bottom pour, mold types, casting temps, and temp control of pot and molds. Also the care and maintenance of the whole shebang.
Maybe that would be something I will work on this winter as I'm in the process of casting. I really have not done much casting this year. I simply vowed to shoot up all my inventory of older bullets, anything that has been around for over three years and it has worked remarkably well. I done this with one exception and that was to cast for the 303 British. I was simply amazing how many bullet I have stockpiled and there really no reason for it.

I can only promise that I anything I write will be rather short as I keep casting very simple and don't overthink it. Some of that is because I don't really care for the actual activity, I like the bullets, but not pouring them. As a task, I place it right in line with cleaning toilets. Not your average home toilets but the ones like those at the gas station that I worked at as a teen or those I encountered in the US Army. That kind of task.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Ranch Dog wrote:As a task, I place it right in line with cleaning toilets. Not your average home toilets but the ones like those at the gas station that I worked at as a teen or those I encountered in the US Army. That kind of task.

:lol: :lol: :t +corn

Please post pictures of your casting bench when you have the time. I will soon be "building" a new casting station as soon as the Phoenix weather cools down.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:As a task, I place it right in line with cleaning toilets. Not your average home toilets but the ones like those at the gas station that I worked at as a teen or those I encountered in the US Army. That kind of task.

:lol: :lol: :t +corn

Please post pictures of your casting bench when you have the time. I will soon be "building" a new casting station as soon as the Phoenix weather cools down.
Oh you are going to love this! It is the tailgate of my truck! I cut three plywood panels to fit it, that's it. Oh, I've had a couple of different benches in different locations and hated them. The ventilation has always bothered me and I got tired of blowers and fans. I have several huge, open carports that have electricity and decided that I could better serve my lungs by being mobile to accommodate the breeze.

I thought that my use of my tailgate was probably a bit odd but I mentioned it one day on one of the cast bullet forums and I found out that I was not alone and that it wasn't that unusual. Bummer, I like being different.

Since I built my lead boxes that use a pallet jack, I discovered that I can also move one of them to any location within the barn & carports via the jack and use it as a bench. They are the perfect height and due to the weight (1 ton) they are very stable. Still it is just easier to use the tailgate.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I guess you're not going to be any help, dang it. :P

I have always always cast outside on my lanai (porch). Unfortunately the current location is only partially covered. It is a pain to haul the casting stuff in and out for each session. So it appears a construction project is looming in the near future. It will include a retractable shade roof (?) and cabinets to protect all the stuff from the elements as well as a bench.

Suggestion welcome. 8-)

Ok this is so far off topic it needs to get removed and I should be punished, SORRY. :oops:

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I really don't have any problems hauling my stuff out. The pot and one small basket of stuff.
Michael
jloader

Post by jloader »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Old Scribe wrote: One thing that me haven't mentioned is casting temperature with the aluminum mold. If you consider your alloy as fixed, your not going to add anything else, and your bullets are under diameter; add heat until the aluminum expands enough to give you the desired diameter. If your bullets are dropping too large in diameter, operate the mold at a minimum temperature for smooth operation to decrease the molds expansion. The beauty of an aluminum mold.
I was wondering why some of the cast bullets go thru the sizer much easier than others... And it was not one cavity versus the other... the mold temp makes sense!
Last edited by jloader on 13 Oct 2016 08:42, edited 1 time in total.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

jloader wrote:... the die temp makes sense!
Did you mean 'mold" temperature?
Michael
jloader

Post by jloader »

Ranch Dog wrote:Did you mean 'mold" temperature?
What a gaff!!! I had to edit my post. :oops:

Return to “Question Of The Month”