10/16 - Die Adjustments

Something been on your mind that you have always wanted to ask and google is no help. Ask it here!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: 10/16 - Die Adjustments

Post by Ranch Dog »

I don't know if anyone is interested but I had worked on a spreadsheet that would calculate the die rotations and screw rotations needed to seat an NOE Expander Plug to the proper depth using the Lee Universal Case Expander Die. All I needed to finish it was to verify the adjusting screw pitch as the calculations were not working out with the numbers Lee gave me in the past. I did that work yesterday while I was adjusting a plug for my 454 Casull.

I no longer use MS excel as with Windows 10 they declared I needed to buy it again. I moved everything to OpenOffice CalC and have ended up liking it better plus it is free. This said I've attached the Apache ods file for anyone that uses CalC and below is an image that can be used to populate the cells of excel sheet if the ods file does not import properly.

I use "star" points marked on the top of the screw, it is easy to visualize and a bit finer adjustment than ¼ turns. All this came about because I promised Al of NOE a topic for his forum and newsletter on how to do this adjustment in simple, precise steps rather than by hit or miss. I actually took the pictures for it back in May, that is how far behind I am. I will try to get the actual process in a stand alone topic but it will be after hunting season.

The steps to properly adjust the NOE Expander Plug (the solid top plug) in either the Lee Universal Case Expanding Dier or the Powder through Expander Die capped with a Lee Adjusting Screw are:
  • Set the Expander Plug in the mouth of a sized Case. Mark the plug against the case mouth.
  • Determine the sizing needed on the plug with a caliper. NOE recommends .001" over bullet size. Mark the plug at that point.
  • With the caliper, measure the distance between the two marks on the plug, write it down for the calculation.
  • Place the Expander Plug in the Lee Universal Expanding Die and screw the Adjusting Screw in until the threads just disappear into the top of the die.
  • Place the sized case in the press and raise the ram.
  • Place the die on the press and screw it until you feel the case make contact with the plug.
  • Lower the ram.
  • Complete the calculation to determine how to adjust the die:
    • Divide the distance the plug needs to sink in the case to achieve the desired depth by .071. Example: If the distance is .40", the calculation is .40/.071= 5.633.
    • Using the units from the sum (5), mark a reference point on the the die body and then turn the die down into the press 5 revolutions.
  • Before the finer adjustment, mark the top of you adjusting screw with five "star' points.
  • There is a bit more math involved but just take it in steps. The calculation is:
    • ((distance required to seat plug-(number of die body turns used*.071))/.011). The steps to solve the .040" used in the previous example are:
      • 5*.071=.3571.
      • .040-.3571=.0428
      • .0428/.011=3.8571.
    • Using the units from your sum, turn the Adjusting Screw in 3 "star" points
  • Slowly raise the ram while verifying the case neck sizing by feel. The case should not meet heavy resistance while it is raised into the die.
  • Proper seating will take place at or after the calculated "star" point on your adjusting screw and prior to the next star point.
Setting up the NOE Powder Through Expander Plug with a any of the Lee powder measures is basically the same but with the additional consideration of the dispenser actuation. I will detail the setup of such in another topic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ranch Dog on 14 Sep 2018 06:35, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Information, images, and spreadsheet attachment have been updated.
Michael

Return to “Question Of The Month”