What happened to supply and Demand?

Something been on your mind that you have always wanted to ask and google is no help. Ask it here!
Kaiser
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: What happened to supply and Demand?

Post by Kaiser »

Ever since Obama's terms in office the ammo shortage became visible after every "media" attack on the 2nd Amendment. Most people that owned firearms (estimated at that time to be over 350 million "registered" arms in a population of 320 million) bought ammo they thought they would need for Armageddon. The rest of the population (about 1/2) went about their business believing no crisis was imminent if only we would compromise away our rights to self defense and let government handle the problems.

The phenomenon we now have are those who saw no need to own a firearm for self defense, target shooting, or hunting are faced with actual rioting in their streets fed by a crowd who wants to get rid of their police force. They truly believed others were responsible for their personal safety. Like the "unseen virus", people are scared who realize they have no means to protect themselves and law enforcement are controlled by administrators and politicians in their overcrowded cities. Many of the "gun control" crowd now realize those pushing this "scam" will never be unarmed themselves; for they will be in control because they are armed! A whole new class of firearms' buyers have entered the market, which has overwhelmed the guns and ammo distribution chain.

My area (mid America) is also experiencing a firearms and ammo distribution problem, to include two of the biggest bullet and brass factories in the region. While the component companies are (again) playing catch-up, the "pandemic" has made the effort to correct the problem very difficult. Being a reloader early on pays dividends, but only if one stocked up when the opportunities presented themselves. I know of one enterprising business man who is now supplying some retail outlets with ammo legally and at fairly reasonable prices. Because of the "all out" assault on gun rights by many states, the "panic buying" and "hoarding" will continue until the "piggy bank" is emptied. On a happier note, distribution will eventually catch up with demand; being in a "comfortable" position until that happens will depend on how imminent you believe you are threatened! Be prepared was a motto of the Boy Scouts (sad demise), it still applies to those of us who stuff cases and hulls for a hobby! Stay safe and well armed!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

It's "just in time" now .
You get decoy sales in January and bathing suits in start showing up about as quick as they can clear the Valentine's stuff which hits the shelves about the time the 11th hour Santa heads for check out . We now have Hallogivingmas under way as the last burger/brisket pack is sold until us old cogers whine about corned beef absence in the St Paddy's day skip from VD to BBQ season . That's become stale chocolate "here's your Guiness , pickled beef and ugly potatoes. Buy a kite and umbrella on your way out" .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

I find it kind of interesting...

Over here in Europe getting guns and gun parts is a problem, because the Americans buy everything they can, and the German market is just not big enough to be a priority.

On the other hand, ammo never was a problem.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Supply and demand is well and good here. Right now demand is over stripping supply. Up until a few months ago most people felt "safe" in their homes and cities. With the exceptions of a few "nut cases" that were causing horrific events (and with my tin foil hat firmly in place, I think many of those were "manipulated" by some with an agenda) thought that most guns were used for sport and not really needed for personal defense. Now many of those that felt that they didn't really have a "need", (didn't hunt or participate in "games") for weapons, or had dad's old 38sp with a box of ammo and thought that was sufficient, have changed their minds. "They" are beginning to see now that just maybe there is a "need", that they are not as safe and secure as they thought. We could go on and on about this but suffice to say that folks are getting scared or at least very concerned about their welfare and those they care about and are taking what steps they feel are necessary towards that end. AND, they want to make sure they have "enough" just in case. Hence, more demand. Just my opinion.... :roll:
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Primers for sale $150 per 1000.
9X19 loaded ammo $650 per 1000.
5.56X45 62 grain steel core $700 per 1000.

Yet I'm keeping mine to myself.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

There was a period almost a year long between obama and now. 22LR were about $15 a brick, primers and powder were on sale, and shipping and Hazardous materials charges were free.
I, having seen past shortages, stocked up enough for the rest of my life at good prices.
I just wish I had done it back when IMR powders were $1.69 a pound, and Herters primers were $2 per 1,000.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Varget $85 per pound.

Primers have gone over $150 per 1K.

9X19 and .224" Berry's plated bullets $150 per 1K.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Good gravy ! Sure glad I've got moulds primers .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Question Of The Month”