March QOTM

Something been on your mind that you have always wanted to ask and google is no help. Ask it here!
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

March QOTM

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Gun powder, specifically smokeless. Smokeless is either single base or double base and the major differences are percentage nitroglycerin and additives in the case of double and additives in the case of single along with shape. So the question is - why do some powders cost so much more than others?

Occurred to me today when I picked up a canister of Varget and it was by far thee most expensive powder on the shelves.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: March QOTM

Post by daboone »

My guesses: Demand and /or the stuff made further away the higher the cost.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

I have an idea .... because they can

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

mr surveyor wrote:I have an idea .... because they can

jd
Charge what the market will bear. I can buy Vectan powder (France) cheaper than the stuff made for Hodgedon in this country.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

The stick powder requires specialized extrusion tools for the various powders to control rate of burn . Some have as many 9 longitudinal holes through the kernel some none . The spherical powders have to be tumbled for each successive layer of coatings some have 7 layers . I got nothing for single base flake powders aside from nitro content .
The Dots , Unique , and color name powders are long , long paid off for R&D , so those should be pretty cheap . Of course the more you buy the cheaper it gets .
The larger volume powders in consumption terms seem to be less expensive . IG ; 4895 is more than 4350 and both are less expensive then H322 or H335 .
In shotguns where the flake powders rule the slower powders are more expensive but they use more weight and and the same volume . Made me cry when I loaded a few shot shells with Unique at 25 gr after loading 1000s of pistol rounds at 3.5-9.0 gr .

The Jonny come lately powders will always be more expensive because they're still paying off R&D and in some cases new equipment that is exclusive use to a particular powder or family of powders or have some exotic coating or both . The E powders come to mind .

Costs may also be related to demand for some .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Varget was more than Lil'Gun?

LG is by far the most around here (by around here I mean if I go to Dallas)...about $29 per "pound". Oh, and Trail Boss is through the roof if you consider price by the ounce. Good thing I have no use for it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Read through this but GG caught it, Trail Boss is over the top when you consider $/lb.
Michael
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

The IMR 4350 that I am loading with now was purchased back in the 60's from Herters for $1.69 a pound. I did a lot of shotgun loading and bought 4 pound kegs of Herco for $6. Inflation has driven up the price of everything.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

GasGuzzler wrote:Varget was more than Lil'Gun?

LG is by far the most around here (by around here I mean if I go to Dallas)...about $29 per "pound". Oh, and Trail Boss is through the roof if you consider price by the ounce. Good thing I have no use for it.
varget of $40 and lil'gun was $32

All interesting points being made.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns

Return to “Question Of The Month”