Newer Mossberg Cerakote?

Open forum for shotguns.
number1wrench
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Newer Mossberg Cerakote?

Post by number1wrench »

I have a 2 yr. old Mossberg 500 Super Bantam 20ga, Bought it with kids in mind has 12" LOP w/ 1" spacer, shoots fine for me there at 13"+, but I have since added another1' with a Beartooh pad kit. We have had fun with this breaking clays, last time I put up at range wiped down with oiled rag and stuck it in the case, Turned out a couple days went by before I got to cleaning. Oh Oh finger prints on end of receiver tube and end of barrel. rust cleaned off w/ oil and curly stainless steel. My question , as Mossberg describes barrel finish as black and whatever that is appears not to be very durable on barrel and receiver tube I'm thinking of having these two pieces Cerakote finished. Reciever is fine it's the standard black anodized aluminum 500 receiver. Anybody had it done or any experience with it? All internet info says it's the best of these new coatings. Any input appreciated. Thanks, number1wrench
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Newer Mossberg Cerakote?

Post by daboone »

Yep! I've had 2 handguns Ceracoted by http://www.acoating.com/. It is by far superior to DuraCoat which I had done to one handgun. The Ceracoted guns finish is showing no signs of ware after 2 years where as the Duracoated gun's finish is very holster worn and has finish scratches from the same kind of use as the other 2 guns.

Most of my guns are WWII vintage so they get Parkerized which is also an excellent choice but then I'm an old crotchety WWII gun fanatic. These are shooters NOT collectors. I do keep them original as far as parts go. The handguns mentioned above are not WWII guns. Anyway parkerizing may not be pretty by today's standards but it sure is functional and proven and just plain old fashion protects guns.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.

Return to “Shotgun Discussions”