Smooth Bore & Slugs

Open forum for shotguns.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Smooth Bore & Slugs

Post by Ranch Dog »

You can tell that I'm on a smooth bore kick! I bought a rifle sighted, cylinder bore barrel for my New Haven 600 (AKA Mossberg 500) a few weeks ago, just couldn't help myself as in that it was so cheap, and I wasn't sure what I would do with it. I decided to test the Lightfield Slug Company's claim that their slugs shoot just as good from smooth bores as they do rifled barrels so I felt that justified sending seven dollars and fifty cents worth of ammo down range (3 shots).

At 50-yards, the three shots touched. They would have been tighter with a better open sight shooter. I did no barrel prep, the used barrel has some shot/wad/powder residue in it. I just put it on and sent three shots down range. To me, the ammo performance is impressive.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Smooth Bore & Slugs

Post by GasGuzzler »

Since no one would typically use slugs as "blasting" ammo, the price of the Lightfield Slug Company's ammo is justified from what I can see.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:Since no one would typically use slugs as "blasting" ammo, the price of the Lightfield Slug Company's ammo is justified from what I can see.
Dude. For what I've spent on components over the last six years, I wish I had bought 500 rounds of it and called it a day. Of course, for fellows like us, once you head down the slippery reloading slope, you just keep feeding the monster. It's our addictive behavior. At least for me it is.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Ranch Dog wrote:............ for fellows like us, once you head down the slippery reloading slope, you just keep feeding the monster. It's our addictive behavior. At least for me it is.
:lol: :roll: +guns

Maybe you need to add a "X" rating to as well as health hazard warning like this Site is know to serious behavioural issues. "Slippery slope" doesn't begin to cover the life changes this reloading/handloading does to the brain.

Thank you for feeding the addiction. +guns
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

Ranch Dog wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:Since no one would typically use slugs as "blasting" ammo, the price of the Lightfield Slug Company's ammo is justified from what I can see.
Dude. For what I've spent on components over the last six years, I wish I had bought 500 rounds of it and called it a day. Of course, for fellows like us, once you head down the slippery reloading slope, you just keep feeding the monster. It's our addictive behavior. At least for me it is.

So true!
So much 'what if'? little more Crimp? little less Crimp? Little longer, little shorter.... More Tin? another Mold..
.03Grains instead of .05? Lookin for that 5shot one hole Group....
Buy a new Gun...Start over....

I love this Stuff!!
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Of course, for fellows like us, once you head down the slippery reloading slope, you just keep feeding the monster. It's our addictive behavior. At least for me it is.

Michael, that's really hitting the nail on the head. +1
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

that is awesome! I have had great accuracy out of the plain Winchester 2 3/4" "pumpkin balls" in smooth bores regardless of gun. Prob 3x in 2" with irons. But never anything like that!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

This is where I didn't heed the lesson. I have not been able to beat the accuracy of the LightFields, no how much money I throw at it.
Michael
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

Where you getting the LightFields?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I found the best pricing through Bud's plus their shipping has been very low, half compared to other sources. The specific ammo I would recommend to anyone is the Lightfield Hybred Elite 2 ¾".
Michael

Return to “Shotgun Discussions”