Smooth Bore & Slugs

Open forum for shotguns.
W.R.Buchanan
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Re: Smooth Bore & Slugs

Post by W.R.Buchanan »

So do you own or rent an Airplane? What is it?
My whole family was/is pilots. Dad flew C47's in the war then for TWA, ended up as company pilot for Sam Johnson of Johnson's Wax, and retired selling used airliners for Alan Paulson of Gulfstream American. I worked on the DC9's that brought the POW's back from Hanoi while in the AF, and learned to fly on a Cessna 140 after. Haven't flown anything since, but if you learn on a tail dragger you can fly anything. Youngest Bro is Captain/Check Pilot for Etihad out of Abu Dahbi.

Aviation is a small world. My dad knew everybody after the war.

Sorry to Hijack this thread but we should always have time to talk airplanes or guns or dogs.

Randy
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

W.R.Buchanan wrote:Sorry to Hijack this thread but we should always have time to talk airplanes or guns or dogs.
True that!

The only flying I do now is pipeline patrol, which I do three mornings out of the week. I learned to fly while in High School ('71), been at it for a while. I worked as a flight instructor, air-taxi (135) pilot, corporate pilot, and an airline pilot. I'm type rated in four different corporate jets and the B737, flying the 200, 300, 500, 700, and 800. I owned a PA22/20 up until 12 years ago, it was not your grandma's pacer. I used it to commute to work and be all over the US and Carribean in it. I sold it because of the fixed cost of owning an airplane, hangar, insurance, calendar timed inspections, etc. were costing me $1K a month. As of Friday, I have 21,575 flight hours.
Michael
W.R.Buchanan
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by W.R.Buchanan »

Yes I know about the costs. My Cessna 140 ate me alive. I only had 90 hours before I had to sell it. The only airplane I'd consider owning now is a Kitfox that I could fold up and put in the garage at home. Small airplanes are neat but I figured out pretty quick my 140 was a Sunday afternoon plane for flying around the county. You can't really go anyplace faraway in a 100 MPH airplane. Always wanted a nice 180 but never had the Money.

Pushing 70 this year and my flying days are well behind me, but I still love the machines.

Randy

Return to “Shotgun Discussions”