Winchester 1897 6 round conversion

Open forum for shotguns.
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Winchester 1897 6 round conversion

Post by DaveInGA »

I think I would just order another one, making sure I had the shortest follower and I'd order a Lee Load ALL II and roll my own to the length that gave me six smooth functioning cartridges. I'd also look at tuning the shotgun's ejection system to more smoothly eject the 2 3/4" standard shells.

There's gotta be an answer, because there are just too many cowboy shooters in this country using that very shotgun you have. Just a matter of finding it.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

Yes, I know what you mean. The gun is quite common. But the ammo I use isn't. I bought that ammo for my side by side, and planned to just use the same on the 97. That ammo is extraordinarily long.

Ordering a second set is quite expensive, because of overseas shipping and import taxes. The 35$ price turns into about 80$ costs until I got it. I'll buy another one when I place my next order at them anyway, which might take some time.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

A fired (or new) 2 3/4 inch 12 gauge hull measures just that. A loaded one star crimped measures 2 3/8 inches. I haven't any of my roll crimped ones about to measure, but when I set one up to roll crimp I cut about 1/4 inch from the hull to start then load as "normal". I am "assuming" that my roll crimp reloads come out at the 2 3/8 inch measurement. (or close :lol: ) So, I guess I'm a bit confused as to what you "want" for length. I know that 2 1/2 inch (even 2 inch) shells are still about for sale as some "older" shotguns were chambered as such and I know of a few folks that load them. I see zero issues loading them, (if you reload) although I never have done it. Just find the proper components needed, fill the cases and throw on a nice roll crimp. +guns
Actually sounds kinda like fun to me...
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Ooh, I don't reload shot, and don't want to start. I already don't find enough time to load the metallics ;)
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

Well that's o.k. A lot of metallic reloaders don't do shot shells. I find them (shot shells) more "fun" to reload though. So I will assume you are shooting a regular 2 3/4 inch shell in your 97' but have you any 2 1/2 inchers for sale anywhere near you that you can buy to check to see if 6 will fit? But truly you should consider reloading your own. A Lee Load All is really all you'd need (plus components) and the time factor for reloading 200 rounds is only about an hour. A big plus for this also is that you can load some really low recoil shells that would really suit CAS type shooting where speed is a factor for some.... to darn bad you live where shipping is a detriment from us, I'd load you some and send them to you.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Horseman, thanks for that offer. I did reload some shot beginning of this year, for a black powder match. It was a nice and relaxing work, but I usually just can't find the time to do it. Actually I already got everything I need to reload shot with a roll crimp. All you need is a roll crimper to put in a drill press. But it's too time consuming. I only got an hour or two per month to reload, that's just enough to keep my stock of metallic ammo above zero.

Currently I'm checking a large spring manufacturing company if they could make the spring for me. Usually they don't do business with mere mortals, but I have a small business, that might help ;). And it can't be much more expensive than having one shipped from the US.

buckeye43210
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by buckeye43210 »

Would this spring work?

Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Well, as far as I can see it's just a standard 97 magazine spring. So it should suit as a base to rework it. And it's far cheaper than the 6rd mag spring (which always comes with a follower, of which I already got two).

I'll check if they would sell overseas, and if they do I'll order a few.

Thanks for the tip!

buckeye43210
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by buckeye43210 »

Fyodor wrote:Well, as far as I can see it's just a standard 97 magazine spring. So it should suit as a base to rework it. And it's far cheaper than the 6rd mag spring (which always comes with a follower, of which I already got two).

I'll check if they would sell overseas, and if they do I'll order a few.

Thanks for the tip!
You are most welcome. Let me know if the shipping to Germany seems too high...
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

They all for an additional 35$ international s&h fee, plus their normal shipping rates. That's about 40$ total, which seems to be fair. Overseas packages always are expensive.

Return to “Shotgun Discussions”