Antique Shotgun

Open forum for shotguns.
beekeeper

Antique Shotgun

Post by beekeeper »

I have one a friend purchased at an estate sale and wants me to get it ready to shoot black powder.
While cleaning the barrels I found inscribed on t6he rib between barrels ("Decarbonized Steel").
Now being at least a little smart when it comes to steel I have never heard of decarbonized Steel as all steel has carbon in it and the amount of carbon denotes what kind of steel it is.
Googling it you get about 200 different answers , anywhere from Damascus twist to high carbon steel.
Is there anyone here on the forum that knows what decarbonized steel really is?
Sure would like to know for my own information as well as my friend

beekeeper
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Antique Shotgun

Post by 62chevy »

I know stainless has very little to no carbon in it so could it be an early version of stainless. But don't think that is the answer because cast iron has no extra carbon either.
Je suis Charlie
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Antique Shotgun

Post by Fyodor »

Steel with high carbon content is quite brittle. Steel that's meant to be forged is decarbonized beforehand. So I guess your barrel is forged in some way. Did you see any traces that might be damask style? Can you find any further markings on the barrel or the gun, like maker and proof marks?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.

Return to “Shotgun Discussions”