Henry steel 45Colt

Open forum for rifles.
rimrock
My Press Choice: Turret

Henry steel 45Colt

Post by rimrock »

My absolute favorite gun is my Ruger 45C "old" model Vaquero. For newbies, it's the beefy version that can take stout Ruger only loads.

I decided the Vaquero needed a partner, so I got the Henry. I own 2;Marlins from before Remington owned Marlin, and I'll leave my personal opinions out as to why I didn't buy Remlin 45C rifle.

So, I started down the hand load trail for the Henry. Henry says nothing larger than 250 grain bullets. I load up some 250 grain cast bullets over the recommended charge of 110 powder. Good accuracy and a real thumper to the shoulder. Out loud to noone but me, I said my 444 Marlin is for snout slinging loads. I need to find something a little less offensive to my boney shoulder.

I reread Linebaughs article on loading for 45 C. Using his recommended load of 231 powder for the handgun, I also tried it in the Henry. Me and the Henry can hit 2 inch steel at 80 yards on a good day with this load with a 4 power Bushnell scope on the rifle.

I don't shoot much jacketed stuff but I happened to find 2 boxes of the 225 grain gummy tipped Hornady bullets. Man, the Henry likes those too much for my retiree pocket book!!!!!

On other threads in this forum, I mention that I accidentally discovered Red Dot during the noobtanium days of Obama drama. It's about my favorite powder for my favorite gun. We are in the next round of noobtanium and my supply of 231 ain't great. I need to work up loads for Red Dot which I have plenty of.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Re: Henry steel 45Colt

Post by GasGuzzler »

It's confusing to so many but there is no old model Vaquero, just Vaquero and New Vaquero. I wanted one back in the day but I've since sworn off transfer bars and odd operating loading gates and pawls that don't allow the cylinder to line up with the gate for ejection and lack of coil springs. I am still on board with the original Ruger design and would love to have a pre-safety Rossi blued 20" .45C to match my .357.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

For the first time in my shooting life, this year, I'm 45 Colt less. I sold my Taurus 450 revolver several years ago, an awesome self defense pistol. Several years ago, I sold my special run Marlin 1894S, a JB rifle, because it was worth way more than I valued it. This year, I sold my Rossi 92. I wasn't shooting it anymore.

Honestly, I think the 45-70 Govt is way more versatile than the 45 Colt. I know you are talking handguns matching rifles, but I look at it from the hunter side. Bullet selection is way better, and you can make it a mouse gun to an elephant gun. I have a Rossi Rio Grande that I absolutely adore. Rossi figured out how to use a 336 frame rather than 1895, something Marlin could never get a grip on. The first year I hunted with Rio, I sold my 1895s, both 45-70 and 450 Marlin.
Michael
rimrock

Post by rimrock »

A huge reason I reload s making rifle loads cat sneeze to stomper so I get your preference, RanchDog.

It's what do with the rice slnger- a 444Marlin JM stamped Marlin. Mostly love to watch new shooters eyes light up when 3 holes from mild triball loads make their mark. Family has strongly emphasized that I can never sell that rifle.

I don't hunt but pesky animals do tend to disappear around my place, especially if they mess up my wife's flowers. Recently my Henry 45 popped open a dillo that was found guilty at dawn! : +guns

Return to “Rifle Discussions”