Cheap AR Build No Workie

Open forum for rifles.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Cheap AR Build No Workie

Post by GasGuzzler »

By swapping parts around and hand-cycling I figured the chamber was cut tight on a rig I built. Took a fired case and drilled out the primer pocket big enough to thread for an old cleaning rod I had. Threaded it in and silver soldered it in place, filled the hollow female threads at the other end to withstand the clamping force of the chuck jaws on my cordless drill. Lightly coated the case with valve lapping compound and honed the chamber until I could get trouble-free hand cycling. Had to clean the barrel with every test run.

Then it still misfired but at least cycled when it did fire. Found the firing pin about 0.030" short as compared to another from a fully functioning rifle. Below find the non-scientific comparison. I switched the pin over to retest and ordered a couple stainless replacements. Everything then worked well.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Cheap AR Build No Workie

Post by RBHarter »

Nice . I'm glad the fix was easy . I had a Savage with a lot of miss fires to start the fix was to set the barrel back an 1/8 turn . Fortunately I have all the tools .
No AR issues except one that ran great for about 500 rounds then jambed up with what I thought was a lead goober but after looking at a second upper from the same place it was probably junk in the preassembled upper . The second one actually had a broken drill bit in the gas port .......odd since they say every upper is test fired and that bit stuck out about .07-9 into a 223 barrel ..... It is what it is .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Rifle Discussions”