30-30 win HP Boolits

Open forum for rifles.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

30-30 win HP Boolits

Post by mr surveyor »

Having become addicted to shooting cast boolits in the 30-30 in the last couple of years (thanks to RD and a few other enablers :) ) I've discovered hollow point bullets, specifically the GT gas checked 150 gr, shoot extremely consistent and accurate. I had been using their HP boolits in .357 mag (both 145 gr g/c and 165 gr g/c) for several months before finally breaking down and ordering 100 ct test packs of .44 mag and the 30-30 boolits. Now being mostly fixed to punching holes in paper from the bench, I tend to gravitate quite a bit between calibers ... and the last month or so has been perforating paper that needs perforating with the 30-30. It's been all over the spectrum of weights, from 140 gr to 180 gr, with both rifle powders and pistol powders, but today I decided to load just a few of my last remaining GT HP boolits with 14.5 gr of AA#7 which had previously shown some real shine. Previous tests through the chrony averaged a bit over 1700 fps with 50 yard groups about 0.75. I loaded 16 of them this morning and took to the range this afternoon to give them a whirl. The first five rounds were on a "sight in" target to make sure they would be on the letter sized paper. The next five rounds on a fresh target had a 4 shot, one hole (0.6") ... but had one flyer that was 1" high (called it when I did it). I didn't shoot the last 5 rounds as I had a buddy show up so let him shoot them to get a different perspective on the gun/ammo. I do still have another 25-30 of the GT's left so I'll have to make them do for several weeks. Last night I did order another 250 of both of GT's 30-30 and .44 mag boolits. I imagine they may show up in early January.

Between the Marlin 336 and the Rossi R92's, that's about all I can handle right now ... but it's still good :)

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: 30-30 win HP Boolits

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very interesting JD. Pop a deer with that 30-30 load!
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: 30-30 win HP Boolits

Post by GasGuzzler »

I loaded some of my home cast RD 172's over 10 and 11 Unique but never tried them. I haven't shot my waffle top since I put the Redfield peep on it a couple years ago.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Rifle Discussions”