Is it possible to hunt big games using an AR 15?

Open forum for rifles.
richard33
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Is it possible to hunt big games using an AR 15?

Post by richard33 »

Mostly big game hunters prefer centerfires like Ruger American Rifle, Winchester XPR renegade etc. Why AR 15 is not in big game hunting lists. Is there any Customization ideas out there for an AR 15 build to make it for big game hunting?

Thank You...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Is it possible to hunt big games using an AR 15?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum Richard. Many people use the AR platform as big game rifles; it comes down to what cartridge is chambered in. I have a bit of experience with that as I have hosted many hunters at my place over the last sixteen years.

When it comes down to cartridges, the 223/5.56x45 is a poor choice. Sure, I know hunters that have been very successful with the cartridge, but they shoot a lot of game with it. There is a difference between shooting a lot and shooting a lot of game animals. The latter takes a level of experience with the animal being pursued, shot placement, range limitations, and patience (the rarest commodity).

I've hosted many youth hunts, and the AR chambered in 223 tends to be the number one choice for a kid. I won't allow it, no exceptions. On these hunts, all the deer lost have been shot with a 223 Rem. I stopped its use and have not lost a deer since. Of course, in that these are youth hunts, it would be rare for any to meet the experience I described in the previous paragraph. I've had some dads be mouthy about my rule, but I hold the keys to the Kingdom. Honestly, now, I don't allow any big game hunting with the 223; youth, or others.

There are plenty of good choices for the AR15:
  • 6.5 Grendel
  • 6.8 SPC
  • 300 Blackout
  • 30 Remington AR
  • 350 Legend
  • 450 Bushmaster
I would hunt with full pressure loads, not subsonic. The same limitations of experience with the animal being pursued, shot placement, range limitations, and patience are needed with subsonic ammo.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I hale from a state that requires a 2" OAL , 22 cal or larger and 1000 ftlb at 100 yd for big game . The 223 can skate in just over the limit , seriously it's like 1024 ftlb but it's also a 3400 fps 55 gr SPBT to get there and it wouldn't happen in a 16" carbine gas A2 .
I can get there with cast 130 in a 20" rifle gas 6.8 SPCII and jacketed 105-120s are a breeze . The 25-45 is reported to be good also but it too needs the 20" rifle gas . The BO only has the 30 cal hole going for it in my view but I'm weird like that . The 350 has its virtues but I'll wait on that a while yet . The 223 family of cartridges is just the bottom of the chain for me . Move into the x39AI and shortened 30 Rem family and there's margin for error .
Move to the rebated rims and 35+ cal and your looking at 45-70 Trapdoor levels , thinking of the 450&458 cartridges , which killed a million bison it should do fine for most anything inside 200 yd depending on bullets .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Define "big game", and how far will you shoot?

A 6.5 Grendel is a good choice on whitetail deer in my experience.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

A .243 tossing 100gr pills & a 30-30 model 94 are "still" my all time favorites
for whitetail class game.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Terminal ballistics and accuracy. The type of rifle is somewhat inconsequential as along as it is reliable and can deliver both at an adequate level assuming the quality of the operator is up to the capabilities of the rifle. I help instruct new hunters at my range/club. One of the things we impart is the importance of choosing the right ammunition based upon what, where and how you hunt. Of course rifle calibre is important but shoulder cannons don't guarantee anything. Of the available calibres for the AR15 platform you would be in good position for deer and black bear with the 6.5 Grendel and a good hunting round.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Since I'm restricted to straight wall cases at .357 or larger my current "big" game cartridge is a 450 Bushmaster. I set out last spring to get either a 350 Legend or the 450BM upper. I couldn't find a Legend upper that was in the affordable range but did find the BM. So far I've been happy with it. Trying to work up a cast load but I do have a load with the 250gr Hornady FXT to fall back to if cast doesn't work. I also have a 6.5 Grendel but here in Ohio it's limited to varmints and vermin or paper and steel.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:The BO only has the 30 cal hole going for it in my view but I'm weird like that.
I was like that with the BO, but started thinking about the deer I've killed with the 30 Carbine. It is all back to the bullet and range shot. I used it with the Remington SPs and in the 50 and 70 range. Then there is the 32-20 Win. My Marlin 1894CL is the first choice in my youth hunts with a youngster that is recoil sensitive. With the components stack the recoil is noticeably less than a 357 Mag in the same frame.

Here is a 300 BO hog from a few weeks ago. Nothing special about the ammo except a lot of exposed lead on the round nose. 70-yards, high shoulder shot, knocking off its feet, and it ran in place on its side for a few seconds and died.
300BO_Hog.jpeg
Yeah, I'm getting used to it as well. The cartridge might be moving to the most popular for youth hunters as most are being told "NO" with the 223 Rem/5.56x45.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael

Return to “Rifle Discussions”