Long Range Target Shooting

Open forum for rifles.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Long Range Target Shooting

Post by killian6pk »

If you had to choose between 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 for long range target (1,000 yds.+) shooting which would you pick?
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Long Range Target Shooting

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Probably the 6.5 Creedmore, but then I've been enamored with the 6.5 bore since 1970 when I got my 6.5/06. The BC advantage of the 6.5 bullets gets it done for me. Right now I'm working with the 6.5 Grendel on a MSR platform. So far it's been fun and not to picky about bullet weights between 90 and 129 grains.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

As always, it depends. In this case on the twist of the 308 rifle barrel. With a 1 in 10 twist rate the rifle will easily stabilize match bullets in the 180+ range. This allows the use of high BC match bullets that are heavier and less susceptible to wind drift. If you plan on hunting with the same rifle your bullet options are greater than the 6.5 rifles. My experience does bear out that most 6.5 rifles calbres tend to be more accurate.

EDIT:
On rereading the OP and my reply I think I might have had some old fart tunnel vision issues. I would choose a 6.5 Creedmoor or its smaller 6mm version for 500+ meter target shooting over any .308. The ballistics make it a no brainer as well as the reduced recoil makes for better shooting consistency. Below 500 and for hunting I still would stick to the .308. My first .308/7.62x51 experiences were with the Canadian version of the FAL (FNC1). Ranges berms were set up at 100 yard intervals out to 600 yards. Hitting the man sized target at 600 was not a problem from the prone position after a bit of practice with a good rifle. Having said that my 6.5x55 Swede out shoots any .308 I have owned.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by killian6pk »

Thanks for the info guys. That is sort of what I had come up with. That 6.5 was very accurate at distance. What twist rate would you all suggest?
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

killian6pk wrote:Thanks for the info guys. That is sort of what I had come up with. That 6.5 was very accurate at distance. What twist rate would you all suggest?
If you're going to be working with the heavies (140gr) bullets I think both Sierra and Hornady say at as fast as 1 in 8. All of my 6.5s are 1 in 8 and they handle the long bullets very well.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

The Swedes chose a rate of 1-7.83 for their Mauser. My M96 shoots to sub-MOA with a 140 grain Hornady match and best using a 139 PRVI ahead of HV100.
I second the 1-8 as minimum rate.

Return to “Rifle Discussions”