Was at the LGS yesterday

Open forum for rifles.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Was at the LGS yesterday

Post by horseman »

Should never have stopped in to see Dan yesterday. Just popped in to see what he had in 45acp (my latest interest as seen from the handgun section) and ask about the Metro Arms Classic models in particular. He said he'd never heard of them before (this store is also a "general" store, fishing tackle, book store, well you get the idea) so we look them up through his distributors and a long discussion begins with some other hanger-arounds. This is normal. The cost at his store is about a hundred bucks more than what I see for on-line prices, but this is for another day discussion. The issue for me began as I happened to look up at his used rifle rack and lo and behold what do I see but a model 81 steel framed BLR in 358 Winchester. I have "lusted" after one of these for a loooong time but never ran across one in person. I do not "need" one of these but I also don't "need" a 45acp but I want them both. I should never have asked Dan to hand me the rifle, it is a very good specimen in just beautiful condition with a 1.5 to 4 Leupold scope, nice leather sling and someone did a really good trigger job on it. Slight amount of free travel and a crisp 4lb break. This is a consignment rifle from a local estate. Dan knew this gentleman and he had quite a collection of nice firearms the family is now liquidating (most of). The problem (if it is in fact a problem) they're asking 1000.00 bucks for this rifle. A bit high (new ones minus the scope and sling and trigger work go for around this price or a bit under) but not out of the realm of reason for one in this condition. Another problem(?) with these older 81's is magazine availablity depending on how old of a model this it, and I'm not sure I didn't check for that. If it's one of the "original" models it's my understanding finding another magazine is about impossible and if found cost is very high. Yes, this rifle has a magazine with it but an "extra" one would be, or should be a first concern IMO. If this rifle had been at, IMO, a more "reasonable" price of around $750.00 ish, I would probably be looking for reloading dies today. I know, it's only money, but guys can be "funny" about stuff like that, and the days of "I DON'T CARE I'LL TAKE IT" are long gone for me as that particular tree is no longer growing out back. However.........
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Was at the LGS yesterday

Post by Ranch Dog »

I feel it! I've started to hold back myself. Gotten to the point that I feel like I'm just adding to the estate sale!

As a 300 Savage guy, there is one particular rifle closing today, I'm going to let it go. That's a foreign feeling for me.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Ranch Dog wrote:I feel it! I've started to hold back myself. Gotten to the point that I feel like I'm just adding to the estate sale!

As a 300 Savage guy, there is one particular rifle closing today, I'm going to let it go. That's a foreign feeling for me.

Well it's a good thing you weren't there with me yesterday then. Sitting on the rack right next to the BLR 358 was a model 99 (I didn't ask which model but it had the gold trigger) in 300 Savage and right next to it was another model 99 in 308. Prices were in the 700+ range (I remember thinking they were a bit high also) and I wouldn't be a bit surprised it they weren't from the same estate. Both looked "pristine"....I had a Savage 99 in 243 caliber, or rather my first wife did, many years ago. Nice little rifle but I never did really cotton to either one. :? :lol:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

It's a Savage 45 bolt rifle. It's in very good shape, everything is correct with it.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/849746514
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have to go to the LGS next weekend and beg for an M&P15 at cost to raffle off again. I hope I make it out empty handed.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

GasGuzzler wrote:I have to go to the LGS next weekend and beg for an M&P15 at cost to raffle off again. I hope I make it out empty handed.

Just keep repeating to yourself "I'm just here for the raffle gun, no, I don't need that, no I don't need that, No" well you see where we're going here. And good luck with that.

I did not go back to that store today. "I really don't need that, I really don't need that", so far it's working, kinda.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Hang in there Horseman, stay tough. I've got faith in 'ya.
So, when do you pick it up?? :D :D
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

larryw wrote:Hang in there Horseman, stay tough. I've got faith in 'ya.
:lol: :lol: :lol: +corn
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Ranch Dog wrote:
larryw wrote:Hang in there Horseman, stay tough. I've got faith in 'ya.
:lol: :lol: :lol: +corn

Larry I'm going to call you in a couple days just to give you some $^%t about what an enabler you are.. :D and by the way the rifle is still there (so I hear :roll: ) The earlier remark RD made about "just adding to the estate" strikes pretty close to home :lol: . I did just order a Bell & Carlson stock for the 7mag and have a bunch of rounds loaded up for it and will head down to the "new" rifle range as soon as I get it set up. I'm really hoping that the Decelerator pad that comes with the stock WORKS as advertised otherwise it may be a "short" visit....of course "maybe" I could take a 358 Winchester along just in case..... :lol:
larryw

Post by larryw »

Hey, I resemble that remark!! I'll have you know that I wear the title of "Enabler"
with pride!! At least I'm still "able" to do something well :lol:
As far as your stock, B&C are leaders in the industry as far as design geometry
& materials for stabilization, wear & tear, & recoil pulse absorbtion.
Just make sure you go over action & barrel fit with a fine tooth comb.
Decelerator pads, it's Pachmeyer, hard to beat! They were my choice for my
300Win Mags & other heavy hitters in the good shoulder days. Just go with the 1" pads.
There field pad was my choice for 12ga artillery, & also have been a fan of there
Presentation handgun grips for ever, like I said, hard to beat.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns

Return to “Rifle Discussions”