35/30 win

Open forum for rifles.
todddoyka
My Press Choice: Single Stage

35/30 win

Post by todddoyka »

i finally got around to sending my win m94(1972) to JES( to http://www.35caliber.com/ ) make a 30-30 into 35/30 caliber. he should have it by now(i mailed her on 6/4). i also got my ch4d 35/30 dies and some 30-30 starline brass. i did 5 cases to 35 cal and they did come out alright. tomorrow i'll do 100 cases(weather ch is calling for rain).

i bought some 200gr fn gc(https://bullshop.weebly.com/-35-cali...t-bullets.html
), just to see if they're alright. (the next step is a 245gr fn gc(saeco))

before it goes off(again) to get it cerakoted, i'm going to try breakfree clp to scrub the rust off of my receiver(sintered steel). to scrub i'll be using clp, my old toothbrush, 0000 steel wool and a prayer or two or three . if it don't werk, then off to cerakote it.

i'll probably be using williams 5d or fp 94. after (ahem)"shooting" my husky m46 with iron sights, i don't think its possible to shoot the 35/30 with irons. i shoot my 30-40 krag in a redfield 102k(peep sight), so i think i'm good. the next step is something that i don't to think about, a scope on a lever action( even marlins')!!!!!!

when the m94 is done, i'll have a deer/bear rifle that i can be proud of. now all i hafta do is figured out cremation on the m94. then we'll be happy!!!
​Μολών λαβέ !

todd
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: 35/30 win

Post by Ranch Dog »

Nice and looking forward to some pictures!
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Try a little and a piece of pure copper. They used to recommend a penny but you cant get pure copper pennies any more and if you find one it probably has collector value. I use a 1/2" pipe cap and it works fairly well. I also have some pure copper sheet stock that I bought to shield electronic equipment and I plan to try it on my next effort see it it works better.
There's a video on ewetube that pretty well explains it.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I use copper chore boys.

Some words are missing from a couple of these posts and that makes them confusing.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:I use copper chore boys.

Some words are missing from a couple of these posts, and that makes them confusing.
Okay, so it wasn't me. I was wondering about the penny text. Thought it had to do with cleaning up the rifle, but not sure how.

I'm supposed to be in the process of shooting about a hundred jacketed bullets through my JES 35-30 to see if that will smooth out the rifling. I didn't talk to JES about it; I just noticed it wasn't slick when a cleaning patch is pushed through it. I can feel a continuous drag on the patch. Mine does not shoot cast well and leads easy. It isn't leading in the traditional sense, just really dirty with lead from not being slick metal.

I don't want to lap it; I'm happy with the diameters of bore and groove, it just needs a bit of wear down it.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

No, it was me. Should read try light oil and a piece of pure copper.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Copper can help clean rusty BLUED gun parts because of process of blueing and the reaction to different metals. That's why the penny and the other comments were made.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
todddoyka

Post by todddoyka »

that, i didn't know!!! thank you!!!!!
​Μολών λαβέ !

todd
todddoyka

Post by todddoyka »

i got the rifle back on saturday from JES. i can't wait to shot her!!!
​Μολών λαβέ !

todd
todddoyka

Post by todddoyka »

today i cleaned the barrel out. it only took me 45 minutes or so. the first 1/2 hour i was soaking it in gunslick's foaming bore cleaner. the next 15 minutes or so was a bore brush, 35 caliber patches, sweet's and some elbow juice to make it clean. i found only one steel/lead shaving and it was miniscule. the first series of patches came out grey. the second series(sweets) came out clean. i oiled up the inside of the barrel and i did oil up the outside. i'll say this, JES does good work!!! i was surprised that the patches didn't find shavings i'd expect. i was more surprised on barrel cleaness. i was expecting it to be dirty, but 4 or 5 patches and it comes out clean. i did the 2nd set because i couldn't believe that the barrel was clean!!!! i did a dry run(patches) on the barrel's rifling and i found it smooth as a baby's bottom. so three cheers for JES!!!!!

tomorrow, i'll use transmission fluid(i don't have acetone? i'll have to look.) and my old toothbrush to attack the rust(sinter steel). if that don't werk, then i'll have to buy breakfree clp and some fine copper wool 0000. if that don't werk, then its off to cerakote.

JES gave me load that says 200gr cast and rel10, but i don't have any rel10. i have trail boss(its a joy to shoot on anything), 2400, rel 7, h4198(JES did imr on j-words) and h322(i have a pound of it, unopened for about 5 years). i'll have to check but i got a 1/2lb of varget. i bought it for my 30-40 krag but it doesn't like varget. i have found an article that goes 15.4 - 20.0gr of 2400 with a 200gr cast boolit that goes 1300-1800fps. i'm a little leery of going over 16.0gr of 2400, but i ask, do you take 20.0gr of 2400? or was it just a show(lie)?
​Μολών λαβέ !

todd

Return to “Rifle Discussions”