High Point 45 ACP Carbine!

Open forum for rifles.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

High Point 45 ACP Carbine!

Post by mikld »

Well, I finally got to shoot my new High-Point 45 ACP carbine. No rain for 2 days so the road was dry enough and my knee wasn't hurting so I loaded up my stuff and drove up the hill to the "range". I checked the gun over, set out a target and ran about 50 handloads through it, checking function and sighting it in. The fun factor was up there, not quite as fun as my Garand, maybe even with my 10-22, but still a really fun gun. The recoil was hardly noticeable and I was surprised by the accuracy, my handloads ran 2"+ a bit @ 25 yards, getting used to the gun and the sights. After about 100 of my "just in case" rounds and handloads I settled down and tried for accuracy. I put the target out to about 30-35 yards and took my time. With my handloads I got a bit under 2", and about the same with some "Independent" factory stuff. The sights worked quite well with my old eyes and was able to shoot some good groups. Then I tried some Remington 45 JHP I picked up about 9 years ago when I needed some ammo for a new 1911. First 7 shots went into 1 1/2" at 30+ yards with the main group 1" and one flyer out another 1/2". Yep, surprised me too! I had an old 10" "swinger" target I set out to 50 yards and was able to hit it every shot.

I had a couple "problems" I'll need to work on; one, the magazines had problems with my JIC ammo, perhaps a bit tool long, but functioned perfectly with factory FMJ and JHPs. The rounds would feed a couple then the rounds wouldn't come up all the way to the magazine lips and wouldn't feed. The trigger was very stiff, like 30 lbs. (not really, but pretty heavy!). I have found some after market springs that reportedly lighten the trigger that I'm gonna try...

I ran about 200 rounds through it today and the only problem was my handloads not working well in the magazines (about 10% FTF). For a gun less than $350.00 I think I got another good, fun gun to add to my stable...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: High Point 45 ACP Carbine!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great report! Gon'na change your title to reflect the firearm name just in case others are on the fence to buy or not!
Michael
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

Thanks, good report. I have one in 9mm. They are cheep, reliable and fun to shoot.
mikld

Post by mikld »

Thanks RD. And you're right; "Rifle Discussion" is a better place for this thread...
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Great report, I have an og 995 from Clinton ban era. It is very reliable and accurate. Love it fun gun to shoot.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I have had one also .
Pro mags worked well and 14 is more fun than 9 .
I ran a broad selection of ammo through it from 196-265 gr in RNFP to ball shaped to a ridiculously wide nosed SWC all in cast .

It is a fun gun to shoot . I managed to keep 50 yd groups the same as 25 yd groups with the ol' 1917 pistols . I did shoot it way out there and get 4/10 on a 12×18 plate at 164 yd so that made me pretty happy .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I am feeling the itch, but I need to sell something before I buy anything else. Nowhere to put it when it is not in my hands.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Ranch Dog wrote:I am feeling the itch, but I need to sell something before I buy anything else. Nowhere to put it when it is not in my hands.

O.K.....Ranch Dog (and others as well) look up High Tower Bull Pup stock (I think that's correct) for the hi power Carbine. THEN you'll really "need" one. A bit spendy but WOW does it change the looks and function. Waaaaaaay cool. I think I "need" one in 9mm to go with my peestol.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

At $250, it did not flip my switch. I like the firearm because of the price point.
Michael
mikld

Post by mikld »

That Bullpup stock looks cool, but it costs almost as much as my carbine. :cry: Mebbe down the road when the "fun factor" wears down a bit...

Return to “Rifle Discussions”