High Point 45 ACP Carbine!

Open forum for rifles.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: High Point 45 ACP Carbine!

Post by Ranch Dog »

So, you went with the PM-14? If so, we can compare notes.

My only concern with the 20-round is the length and carrying additional magazines. The only way to figure it out is to wade into it.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

The 14s are pretty long also .
I read the fail reports between the ship notice and receiving them . When they arrived I went over them end to end looking for the smallest details and difference between the PM and the factory 9 round . The 5 rounds and filler sleeve are all I could find , even the bead blast even appears to be the same , ID stamps in the same locations . I didn't disassemble them for a look at follower shape but on top they look identical .

I've been following a thread elsewhere about 1911 mags and it's a wonder the different mags will talk to the guns at all .

I found the the 4 yo rifle and 3 yo mags are happy and all diminsions appear to be within manufacturer tolerance limits of tool wear etc . The tension requirements for case retention in the magazine "feed lips" would appear to be the weak point of the design and I can see where if the welds weren't in the correct places it could make the spring tabs soft or brittle and result in poor function to failure . I suspect that net chatter , forum interfaces , and the convenience of email and pics has driven design and manufacturing changes as much as R&D . A maker can get 10,000 rounds through 10 mags for testing in a week but the end users will show up line errors with 10,000 mags and counts into the millions in a few months . I wonder if maybe that's what happened here with the design/production change to fix the failures .

I'm not really one to rave about something that works like it's supposed to until I've used several examples (having 7-8 makes of dies and bullet moulds and 4-5 presses for example) , having only used PM and factory for the HP and LCP I really can't say PM is the best value return available and the best replacement available but they are working so far in my stuff . The metal of a mag is in it sitting loaded for 10 yr with perfect function and the regularly used mag failure coming on the 4th range trip after the rebuild or into the replacement gun ...... Fortunately most of us will never see that . I read a pros statement that mags and a protection arm shouldn't be trusted with less than 1000 no failure rounds through them . I thought the gun will be getting shakey by the time you proof it and a half dozen mags . At any rate the factory and 2 PMs sat loaded for 2 yr with no issues when used and the 2 new PMs ran just like the 3 that sat loaded . I used loads of 5.5 Unique in mixed brass for 196 SWC , 452423 , 200 gr RN comm cast , 452-200 RNFP , 452-255 RNFP , 454424 NOE version and Lyman round groove with no fails gun or mags . Combat ready ? Ummmmm HP stigma and no known drums ......
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:Combat ready ? Ummmmm HP stigma and no known drums ......
Funny, I did check the Pro Mag website to see if they had a drum for it. I would have bought one.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I received the 20-round Red Ball Magazines yesterday. They are very well made. I will get a picture with them in the carbine.

There was a coupon in the box; buy four and get one free. Wish I would have known that. That's 100 rounds and reduces the price to $22/Mag with free shipping. Code is BUY4GET1

https://redballsports.net/product/45cal ... nt-4595ts/
Michael
reloader762
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by reloader762 »

Ranch Dog wrote:Thank you, but too late. I went ahead and bought it full price as Al has done so much for me, and I know sales are slow this time of year, that it is worth supporting him.

I have the NOE design software database, so I moved the bullet design to my software and then imported the record to my Precision Reloading Records and QuickLoad. It looks like I will keep using the same Hercules Unique load of 6.5-grains so all I need to do with the Load-Master is switch the Carbide Sizing and Factory Crimp dies out when I switch between the Hi-Point rifle (standard dies) and Taurus pistol (oversize dies).
I picked up a lb. of CFE Pistol awhile back to try in my 45 carbine and handgun. Does QuickLoads have any data with CFE Pistol and the NOE bullet?
The Reloaders Network discord Channel
https://discord.gg/Nafuzht
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

reloader762 wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:I picked up a lb. of CFE Pistol awhile back to try in my 45 carbine and handgun. Does QuickLoads have any data with CFE Pistol and the NOE bullet?
The last update I bought was in the Spring of '18 and it only had CFE 223. There is another update out as of Dec '18, but I decided not to buy any more updates as they usually don't include any powder updates.

Here are some pictures of my 4595 with the Bushnell Fire Sight with the standard 10-round magazine.

With the 20-round Red Ball magazines.

I did get the NOE TL452-234-RF hollow point cast today, not sure I will be able to powder coat them tomorrow or not.

I cast with 40% linotype and 60% wheel weights which makes some pretty bullets.

Michael
reloader762
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by reloader762 »

If you would like a better charging knob than the factory original you might find one here that you like. This is the one I put on mine and there are other options as well.
https://www.downrangeproductsco.com/pro ... ded-black/
The Reloaders Network discord Channel
https://discord.gg/Nafuzht
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Nice, thanks!
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Well, I went and did it. Local gun show today, found a Hi-Point 45 carbine in Real Tree for 325. Couldn't pass it up. I'll get to the range either later today or tomorrow and post impressions and a picture.

Merry Christmas and make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've been wanting to get to the Load-Master, but the holidays seem to get in the way. Not complaining, but looking forward to making ammo!
Michael

Return to “Rifle Discussions”