1893 Marlin

Open forum for rifles.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

1893 Marlin

Post by Macd »

My best friend (Navy shipmate) and I talk just about every day on the phone. He lives in Ontario, about 2500 kilometers by road from me. He shares my love of old firearms. Around his neck of the woods almost anyone selling something old they call him. Today he got a call from a fellow he worked with in the Coast Guard offering him an 1893 Marlin with the octangle barrel in 38-55. The seller calls it in good condition with VG bore. It is all original with tang sight. He figures an 1895-6 date of manufacture. After I cleaned the drool off of the receiver, especially after hearing the asking price, I tried to get him to flip it over to me if it pans out. I am not holding my breath although he has sold me some nice guns over the years. I passed up on an 1895 Winchester in .303 British. He still teases me about that one.

RD I seem to recall you reload 38-55 or am I mistaken. I am thinking this might be a good candidate for Trail Boss load given its age. Any tips to share? I can get the 2.125' Starline brass up here. I wouldn't want to push such an old rifle. Of course a gunsmith inspection will come first.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: 1893 Marlin

Post by Ranch Dog »

A good member to have offer advice would be Tom Myers. He is more of a lurker, but I will PM/email him this topic.

I will add that my 38-55 Win experience is with JES rebore cut to the SAAMI spec. With that, I shoot my TLC378-250-RF bullet and use standard length Winchester brass. The only Trail Boss shooting I've done is with the 218 Bee. I traded that powder off for another.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ha I was wondering how the mention of Trail Boss and Starline would go in one post.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:Ha I was wondering how the mention of Trail Boss and Starline would go in one post.
That's funny, but I think that the Starline was made exactly for the TrailBoss application! :o :shock:

I am using the SL long 38-55 Win brass with my 375 Win, a modern version of the 38-55, but my plan is to toss it after the third shot. I should have already been back on that rifle. I have an XS Scout base and Ghost Ring that I'm going to mate to that rifle. I tried it before a hunt a two years ago but ended up pulling it as it needed a bit more fitting. I'm running behind because of slug fever.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

GasGuzzler wrote:Ha I was wondering how the mention of Trail Boss and Starline would go in one post.

Lol I remember RD's issues with both. I chose Starline because it is readily available and has a slightly long case with a thinner case wall at the mouth. I have read the older rifles need a tight bullet to groove fit with lower pressure loads. In one article the author describes how he worked with Starline to develop the case specifically for these older lever actions as well as the original single shot. Trail Boss gives a sub-sonic load that should be easy on the rifle. May never happen though as my friend hasn't committed yet. He generally only buys if he can flip it for a profit. For me he asks for what he paid plus shipping. My son, who does Cowboy Action is also interested. He currently uses a 44-40 Winchester.

Return to “Rifle Discussions”