Surplus Military Rifle Stamps, Marks and Etchings

Open forum for rifles.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Surplus Military Rifle Stamps, Marks and Etchings

Post by Macd »

I have a "Thing" for military surplus firearms. I am not a big collector but am fascinated by the history of each rifle or handgun I own or have come in contact with. People with this addiction soon find themselves lost in researching all the myriad markings on surplus firearms and I am no exception. For example my sported Lee Enfield #4 is a Maltby product from 1944 that was FTR'd in 1955. One mark on the barrel was new to me and I just discovered that it was a new barrel apparently from stock that was made for or at the Fazakerley factory in 1953. Another example is a Spanish Civil war Mosin I bought for my son that didn't fit the manufacturing dates for the thousands supplied to the Republican side by the Russians. It was a Tula 1934. It had an odd "P" prefix added to the serial number which after much research I found stood for the Russian word for repaired. I assume the rifle had been sent back to the Tula arsenal for repair and just added to a shipment of new rifles destined for Spain in 1937-39. My final example is a ("Civilian?) Remington 513T made in the 40's in the US but with a set of British proof marks and the Stamp "Not English Made" on the barrel. This is proof it was imported into Britain and then subsequently exported out again.

Anyone who has a mark they can't identify, send me a PM. Over the years I have built up a number of references and may be able to help. Sometimes they just elude explanation but that is part of the fun.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Surplus Military Rifle Stamps, Marks and Etchings

Post by daboone »

No help here. I'm glad to see another Milsurp collector. I consider anything gun made after the Korean war to be unnecessary. :lol:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Interesting topic to me, but know little about it.
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

I love a guns history, I am not a surplus collector either but not because I wouldn't mind owning a few. It is more the ammunition that prevents me from collecting. My only current surplus rifle is a mosin nagant 91/30.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Hey MacD - tell me how to call you by a Christian name, so I don't feel like I'm speaking to a bot....LOL!

Anyway...thank you for sharing your fascination with arcane minutiae associated with milsurp and antique weapon markings. This has been one of my own favorite angles related to my gun hobby as well. Everything you just brought up in your experience, is exactly what I have found so fun and interesting. Blame it on my love of world history, combined with an interest in historic development of manufacturing and technology.

More to come from me on this one, I'm sure! As for now - dogs are bugging me to give them their morning walk, so off I go.

Thanks again for bringing up the topic - I'm interested as well.

Adam Lee
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

alphalimafoxtrot wrote:Hey MacD - tell me how to call you by a Christian name, so I don't feel like I'm speaking to a bot....LOL! Adam Lee
LOL. I spent most of my career being called Mac. Guys I've known for years probably don't know my first name.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

The 513 may have been a lend/lease rifle . That always makes a neat story .

I have a 1916 DWM Gew 98 with a Jeager trigger . Not a milsurp in any sense but almost certainly once an infantrymans rifle .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

RBHarter wrote:The 513 may have been a lend/lease rifle . That always makes a neat story .

I have a 1916 DWM Gew 98 with a Jeager trigger . Not a milsurp in any sense but almost certainly once an infantrymans rifle .

I think the 513T was more likely a commercial import as the British had no shortage of 22 training rifles. One can never be sure as not all rifles etc. we're stamp U.S. Property.

Your DWM Gew 98 with a 1916 date should have the imperial crest stamped on the receiver ring. From my readings, DWM production was 100% directed to military needs that year. If you have some pictures of markings the guys over at gunboards will be able to help tell some of it's story. The model 98 is the most sported firearm ever made and each one has a story. My 1944 DOT (BRNO) was picked up in the Netherlands by a Canadian soldier who found it in a destroyed truck. I wonder what happened to the soldier that had it when the truck was destroyed.

Return to “Rifle Discussions”