Flex-Hone Chamber Polishing

Open forum for rifles.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Flex-Hone Chamber Polishing

Post by Ranch Dog »

orerancher wrote:How fast do Ya have to turn the Hone?
You might watch the video, I believe it tells you. Back and forth rate is just as important as drill rate.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

WD-40
Water Displacing Formula 40.
Hone a modern cylinder and get sent to mechincal-hell.
:)
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:WD-40
Water Displacing Formula 40.
Hone a modern cylinder and get sent to mechincal-hell.
WD-40 does exactly what it was intended to, displace moisture. I held these receivers under a faucet flushing them out with hot water, you durn right I will use it. It is not a lubricant and is not what was left on the firearm, but it will help you get rid of the moisture, quickly with compressed air.

It is also a great cleaning agent. I soak all my molds with it after a casting session and then let them sit for a few minutes and then scrub them with a toothbrush and hot water. I blow them off with compressed air and once dry, I coat them again with WD-40, let them air dry, and then box them up. Honestly, most of my molds look new. I started doing this early on in my casting as when I returned to a mold a year later; I noticed that the surface of the bullet cavity would be dull, it was oxidized. That told me that the salts left from the casting event itself, as well as that from my water and the humidity in the air, had acted on the surface of the aluminum. I pondered that a bit and let the WD-40 do exactly what it was designed for.

I sold a bunch of molds this year; almost every buyer asked me now I was keeping my molds so clean, there you have it.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Agreed. I use it for all that too and more. It's the only thing that will get the greasy factory undercoating from a new truck off your skin too. After a few months the road dirt makes it less messy but the new ones are yucky. WD40 on a shop rag does the trick before going to the sink.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Old Scribe »

I've used WD for years to get the moisture out of the internal lock parts on my muzzleloaders.
Black powder residue can get in the internals of the locks. With hot water, Simple Green cleaner and an old tooth brush, I clean the lock. Compressed canned air blows out moisture and WD eliminates any residue moisture. This eliminates having to take the lock completely apart to clean.
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy

Return to “Rifle Discussions”