"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Re: New toy: Chicago typewriter

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

fyodor,

That is really an accomplishment! Well, to me, at least - just getting something in this configuration through the German gun laws seems like a great feat!
You are registered in Germany, right? So, I get that the Tommy gun is thankfully just "detuned" into semi-auto-only configuration, and not totally de-balled to a DEWAT.

My question: does German gun law allow this for all "former" machine guns, machine pistols, submachine guns? Or does this have more to do with the C&R/antique/"novelty" status of the older NFA (oops and American term :oops: ) guns?

Regardless of HOW you did it, I am very glad to hear it is in your hands - and I am sure you feel that way 100%!

Enjoy, and share any further details on your fine old warhorse for us American gun nuts!
Adam
Daddy%27s+a+gangsta%27.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

alphalimafoxtrot wrote: My question: does German gun law allow this for all "former" machine guns, machine pistols, submachine guns? Or does this have more to do with the C&R/antique/"novelty" status of the older NFA (oops and American term :oops: ) guns?]
While German gun laws are very strict with who can buy a gun, and the actual process, it's relatively loose on what we can buy.

To get the permission to buy a gun, you need to be member of a government registered club, that does sport shooting according a government approved rulebook. You need to be member for at least one year, and prove at least 18 training sessions with firearms. Then you go to your club, and tell them which gun you want for what discipline from the rulebook. They then confirm the authorities, that you in fact do need this specific gun (not individual gun, but type, caliber, and other technical specs) and do not already own one you could use. Then you can go to the office and apply for permission to buy the gun. You bring with you proof of purchase for a qualified gun safe. They then will check your police record from local, state and federal police. They will also check your medical record, your "driver behavior register", and all 17 secret services we have in Germany, as well as the EU and international terrorist database. Then they grant you permission to buy that gun you asked for. Now you can go to the dealer, and buy the gun. After you did, you again go to the authorities and tell them you did, which they will sign off. You can only buy two guns within 6 months.

I pay about 250 USD in paperwork for each gun I buy.

But all of the above only is valid for sports shooters. With a hunting permit, you can buy as many long guns as you want, and pay significantly lower fees.

The types of guns we can get is regulated surprisingly soft, considering the above.

We can not own "weapons of war", which is (a bit simplified) defined as all machine guns, and all post September 1942 submachine guns, or "important parts" of these. These "important parts" are barrel, bolt and on handguns the frame that holds the trigger. We can also not own "prohibited weapons", which is all full auto guns and a lot of knifes and other stuff that in the rest of the world qualifies as toys. As a sports shooter you can also not own guns that look like "full auto weapons of war", if the case length is below 42 mm.

Guns are divided into two groups, "long guns" and "short guns". There is no such thing as an SBR, or braced pistol, or stuff. There's also no such thing as C&R. So there's also no tax stamp for whatever gun... it's either allowed or prohibited. Currently single shot muzzle loading guns that have been developed before 1872 (also replicas) are free, but that unfortunately will change soon. Modern designs of muzzle loaders and revolvers always fell under the above laws.

But that's it. If the gun is not exempt by the technical specs in the rulebook, you can buy it. The Thompson is allowed in the discipline "long gun, pistol caliber, open sight", so I could buy it. Since it is a pre 1942 submachine gun, and therefore only was a "prohibited weapon", it could retain it's original barrel and bolt, just be permanently modified to semi auto. I could not buy an M1919 machine gun, even if it was converted to semi auto, because it is a machine gun, and therefore a "weapon of war". These can only be demilitarized by permanently welding them to a solid block.

I think, German gun laws aren't that bad in total. We can get basically everything we want, it just takes time and a lot of money. The problem is the "good cause" we need to prove with every single purchase, and we need to reprove constantly. If we stop shooting for a year or two, without giving a really good explanation, we are forced to sell all of our guns, and need to start all over again from the beginning.
Last edited by Fyodor on 23 Oct 2018 07:41, edited 1 time in total.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for the details, an interesting set of rules; hoops to jump through, but at least it is possible.
Michael
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Yeah fyodor - thanks for the detailed explanation.

Makes sense - to some degree, in that at least you can get some of the guns you want to shoot. I don't like the "if you're not proving that you are shooting at a club" rules, though. I guess that's my American freedom thing speaking...like that Thompson I was shooting that day in my picture! My buddy also had a restored WW2 flamethrower, and I shot his 1944-vintage MG42 which I am sure you are familiar with.

Wow - one setting I got to try was like 1100rpm? 1200rpm? No wonder they called it Hitler's Buzz Saw! The 50-round belts went in one ragged flash!

Sometimes, it's just a real BLAST to go auto-cycle. +guns

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

I got my hands on some repro drum mags, the seller wasn't knowing what he had there, so I took two for about half the market price of one.

The repros either work or not, I was lucky, mine both work great.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

The gun currently is off at the gunsmith to get an adjustable Lyman sight mounted. The repro front grip doesn't look too great, but it provides a good, steady grip.

I plan to go to the range again in February, and might do some slomo videos, if you are interested.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
larryw
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Fyodor, Interested, Videos ???????
I'm VERY interested.
Thanks Fyodor, great report & great firearm. Congratulations.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Loved to watch Combat and Rat Patrol! I think both are available on Youtube.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

To your list daboone, I would need to add Sky King and Sea Hunt. I know those did not deal with firearms in particular but that rounded me out really well. I actually met Sky King as a kid, that set a lot in motion in my life.
Michael

Return to “Rifle Discussions”