I've heard a rumour about a 218 Bee

Open forum for rifles.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

I've heard a rumour about a 218 Bee

Post by RBHarter »

I don't recall ever seeing it but I suspect it may have been an estate gift a couple of times over to my Dad , but I don't know that . What I do know is Dad only had one lever gun a JM 1895C in 357 that I gave him as rent for an A5 Magnum .....
Moving along . That means that it is a bolt gun and it may have been a gun smiths tinker piece . I have a 222 , & 223 so a cool little 22CF that will turn down to angry 22 mag and up to 200 yd coyote popper fills no space other than cool factor . What I know about the cartridge is probably in bold print on a bottle cap . It's surprisingly fast for it's capacity , brass is not particularly available , stretch is said to be a problem .
I think I can probably find some Win or Starline even if I have to start with something else like 32-20(?) or 25-20 . I'm comfortable with eliminating the stretch with a heavy bolt closure the first time .

So regale me with your tales of the 219 Bee , good , bad , crushed cases , poor bullet choices , cast suggestions , how Pop Pop killed that moose back in 46' .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: I've heard a rumour about a 218 Bee

Post by Ranch Dog »

218 Bee is a great cartridge. Very serious contender with jacketed against any other 22 caliber centerfire. In the past, it was considered one of the best cartridges for benchrest shooting competitions. A guy here in my town won a national match with the cartridge a couple of decades ago.

During the OHB years, I got rid of my Marlin 39 as I was not going to be held hostage over rimfire ammo and my Marlin 1894CL has replaced it with my TLC225-50-RF bullet. I shoot it with a light load of Clays and it is a heck of a critter getter. I've shot the cartridge for about 15 years, never had any problem finding components.

Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: I've heard a rumour about a 218 Bee

Post by RBHarter »

Thanks RD . It seems to be a bit of a cult cartridge . Seems a shame. If Dad's is shot out I might opt to send it out to get rebored to 25-20 . I'll have to make a better effort .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Rifle Discussions”