Savage 340

Open forum for rifles.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Savage 340

Post by Ranch Dog »

Here is a listing I've never seen, a New Old Stock Savage 340E chambered in 30-30 Win at a very reasonable price.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/779112578
Michael
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Savage 340

Post by larryw »

Sweet
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

Very nice!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I recall when I was 11, (I had been going "hunting" with my dad since about age 6, but no gun) until my Father gave me my first REAL hunting rifle. (I had an old Winchester 25-20 lever gun, probably a 92' that an Uncle had given me when I was 10). My "new" rifle was a bolt action 30-30 and looked a lot like the one in your picture. I don't remember the model or make or how many rifle makers even made a model like that at the time (1957, but the rifle wasn't new so who knows how old it was) WHAT I DO REMEMBER IS WITH THE HARD PLASTIC BUTT PLATE IT KICKED THE HELL OUT OF AN 11 YEAR OLD....and if you forgot and held your thumb over the comb when firing it you got a bloody nose....but I thought it was great. I had a "real" 30 caliber rifle, a man's gun. I hunted with it for one year but do not know whatever happened to it. My Father died the following year so things got a bit confusing for a while....but I don't recall ever seeing it again. Perhaps my Mother didn't think it wise for me to have such a thing at the time. I've never wanted another one like it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for the memory horseman, I suspect that the rifle was a Sav 340 or the same model offered through "variety" stores under different model numbers. I'm also sorry to hear about the loss of your father at such an early age.

The rifle was offered under the Stevens product like as the 325 and the same with Springfield as the 840. I'm not sure which of the Savage ventures produced Western Auto's Revelation 225. The only other non-custom bolt action 30-30s offered were the Win Model 54 (not to be confused with the Sears Model 54 which was a levergun by Win) and the Rem 788. The Remington is supposedly the best of the three but a nice rifle will cost you a grand. I personally think as hunting rifles, the 340 can go toe to toe with the 788.

I've really held back from buying this rifle, but I just spent $1K on a four-day course to become a Certified Prescribed Burn Manager in Texas.

The "E" was the best of the models, appearance and finish wise, and used 340s have managed to bring only about $50 less, some, real beaters. Every used rifle I've looked at has needed the ejector(s) replaced. I figure it is the reason a majority of them are offered. It is a fairly easy job, but depending on what needs to be replaced will cost $50 or more once shipping is thrown in. I suspect soon you will not be able to buy the parts so a new rifle is a real benefit.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Ranch Dog wrote:Thanks for the memory horseman, I suspect that the rifle was a Sav 340 or the same model offered through "variety" stores under different model numbers. I'm also sorry to hear about the loss of your father at such an early age.

The rifle was offered under the Stevens product like as the 325 and the same with Springfield as the 840. I'm not sure which of the Savage ventures produced Western Auto's Revelation 225. The only other non-custom bolt action 30-30s offered were the Win Model 54 (not to be confused with the Sears Model 54 which was a levergun by Win) and the Rem 788. The Remington is supposedly the best of the three but a nice rifle will cost you a grand. I personally think as hunting rifles, the 340 can go toe to toe with the 788.

I've really held back from buying this rifle, but I just spent $1K on a four-day course to become a Certified Prescribed Burn Manager in Texas.

The "E" was the best of the models, appearance and finish wise, and used 340s have managed to bring only about $50 less, some, real beaters. Every used rifle I've looked at has needed the ejector(s) replaced. I figure it is the reason a majority of them are offered. It is a fairly easy job, but depending on what needs to be replaced will cost $50 or more once shipping is thrown in. I suspect soon you will not be able to buy the parts so a new rifle is a real benefit.

Thanks for that information, always interesting to read about old guns and models. I personally don't recall having actually ever even seeing another one other than "mine". Admittedly never looked very hard either :lol: . Congratulations on becoming an official Certified Prescribed Burn Manager (albeit the cost factor). We are now in the middle of our "summer", drier than a chapped lip and EVERYTHING is shut down. All private timber land, DNR land closed. Fires seem to be popping up everywhere around here. Probably won't see rain until Sept.

EDIT:
VERY much off topic, BUT, maybe something to think about during fire season. Big fire over in Wasco, Sherman, county (Oregon) about 30 miles across the river from me, yesterday had burned over 30,000 acres running through wheat fields and dry grass lands in front of winds 20 to 30 MPH. Understand, this is obviously rural and sparsely populated country with mostly volunteer fire departments unless the State gets involved so you (farmers of the county) are kinda on your own early on. I heard "they" were thinking of evacuating a couple of the small towns along hiway 97 south. Well, one of the ranchers was out trying to construct a "fire break" to help protect others, with a tractor and probably pulling a large "gang" disc (not unusual), (alone) got caught and didn't make it. Very, very, very sad indeed. So you all be careful out there. Especially if you are a burn manager.....fire has no compassion.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

"The fire rolled through the prairie like a Red Buffalo!"

Prescribed burns are a method of preventing that.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Last year, there was a Savage 170C chambered in 30-30 Win listed, New In the Box, on Gunbroker. I wish I had bought it as well. It was about the same price. Mine was purchased for around $375, but I ended up putting $50 of parts in it. Mine is the "B" with the 22" barrel. The "C" has an 18" barrel.

I liked these Savages. Simple hunting rifles.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ours is a C in .222 Rem .... still need to fix the headspace.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Have a 325 C in 30-30 and a 340E in 222 the 325 has better aesthetics overall . I bought it for the butter knife bolt handle and 30-30 .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Rifle Discussions”