Reasonable Expectations for Chambers

Open forum for rifles.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Reasonable Expectations for Chambers

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yep, that looks good. Did you send Howa the chamber cast? I'm glad they paid for shipping.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by klr »

Ranch Dog wrote:Did you send Howa the chamber cast?
Crap. In my rush to get the stinker out of the door I forgot all about it. The service center looks like a small operation so I'm going to email them the pics and then call to discuss the situation. I did include a detailed description of the problem and let them know that reaming the throat to look Okay is not Okay.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

I have been trying to locate a post I read about the same issue with a Weatherby Vanguard. In my attempts I noted the action and barrel are also made by Howa.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

The repair shop Howa uses for repair work emailed me today and told me that I was right about the bad chamber. They are going to send me a new rifle. First they have to take my rifle to Howa on Friday and then a clerk there takes a week to do the paperwork, and then I can check in to see what is going on. :roll:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sounds good. Did they say anything about covering the transfer fee?
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Ranch Dog wrote:Sounds good. Did they say anything about covering the transfer fee?
This email was from the gunsmith. He's taking the rifle to Legacy Sports tomorrow and telling them it needs to be replaced. So the discussion to get the FFL fee covered will be with Legacy Sports next week.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

They must not have any barrels as that would resolve the transfer issues. Probably only have small parts.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Ranch Dog wrote:They must not have any barrels as that would resolve the transfer issues. Probably only have small parts.
I'll bet they are little more than an importer and distributor.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

I finally got a new rifle this week. The rep told me they couldn't cover transfer fees, but they did include a scope package as compensation. One piece rings and a nice variable power, AO, IR Chinese scope. That was very generous on their part and I appreciate them trying to ease the pain of another transfer fee and a two-month wait.

The chamber cast shows a slightly crooked chamber cut about halfway between the dangerously crooked chamber I sent back and the correctly centered chamber in my .223 Howa. :( :evil:

I shot 20 rounds through it today and it's pretty consistent with groups about 1.125"@100 yds.

So once it's broken in, trigger adjusted, bedded, and a load developed it should be a solid MOA shooter. But I'd prefer to have a .5-.75 moa shooter out of the box like my .223 Howa.

BTW, I also bought a barreled action in 6.5 Grendel from Brownells when they were $279 minus 10%. I figured I'd keep the best shooter and sell the other one. It has a slightly crooked chamber too and shoots about like this one. Yea, I know I'm an idiot.

Howa needs to find the "gunsmith" who is chambering the Grendel barrels and kick him in the nuts.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm glad the settled up. The workmanship seems to be the way it is in the firearm industry these days.
Michael

Return to “Rifle Discussions”