Open forum for rifles.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Savage 170

Post by GasGuzzler »

OFF TOPIC

I brought my Savage project to work to finish it but that means I'm busy now :)
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Savage 170

Post by Ranch Dog »

The forum has slowed a bit, so how about I update my work with my Savage 170 chambered in 30-30 Win :?:
Ranch Dog wrote:I have the extractor and rifle sitting on the bench. Our temperatures are supposed to hit 100°, so that will quell the desire to be outside and the replacement will proceed!
Times flies when you are having fun! The poor rifle has been waiting ten months to get to it!

I replaced the right side extractor a week or so ago and realized that there was another issue with the rifle, the slide would not unlock after the hammer fell. I'm getting a bit ahead of myself as before replacing the extractor I had to spend time remembering how to disassemble this rifle. There is only one "Bubba" video on YT and it represents why I don't go to this source for help. The guy is an absolute idiot. He doesn't know how to operate his phone let alone take the rifle apart. The only printed instructions, which I prefer, can be found here and the material is gunsmith worthy: Gun Tests Working Savage Slide Action Rifles.

It ends up, there is not much to take the gun down, and I found the Gun Test article after I figured it out. Only a pin and a screw to get things started. When it came to the issue I'm experiencing; the Gun Test article focused on a problem with the spring being damaged on the slide lock.

For the life of me, I felt that there was nothing wrong with my spring. I wanted to buy new screws, all around, for the rifle so I went ahead and bought a new slide lock & spring assembly. It ends up that was the last as all Numrich has listed now are used.

Down in the hammer well, where the hammer is residing, I could see a pin protruding from the left side of the hammer. I thought that might have something to do with it and I felt the hammer left and right play a bit sloppy. The hammer is pinned into the trigger housing with a bushing, and I thought I would investigate if that were an issue.

I ended up chickening out, squawk, as I could not easily knock the bushing out. Gun Tests stress to be careful with the pins and bushings in the trigger assembly as the frame of the assembly is plastic.

After waiting another week or better the various parts arrived, so I put the rifle back together, but the slide would still not unlock after the hammer fell. So yesterday afternoon, I sat down at the bench to resolve this, with my dogs on each side of me studying the mess that lay before us.

I went ahead and knocked the hammer bushing out, it took quite a bit of force, and immediate was certain the problem was that pin on the left side of the hammer as it looked worn. I also realized that the pin, a roll pin, provides the alignment for the hammer and was the "why" as to wobble in mine.

Numrich only has used hammers available, and the roll pin in their image is worn more than mine is. You could still identify mine as a roll pin rather than looking like the pointed pin in the picture. I dressed the exposed end of the pin and knocked it a bit further out from the opposite side. This pin is what actuates the slide lock spring as the hammer drops. Nowhere did I find mention of this pin. I wish I would have followed my gut and gone straight to it. I would have saved me several weeks, about $30, but loads of frustration. I put everything back together, and the rifle operates as it should.

Next up, I think I will work with the Hunter Supply 31-154-FN.

Michael

Return to “Rifle Discussions”