Open forum for rifles.
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

300 HAM'R - learning to love this!

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Hello, all!

Now, I have started getting very interested in Bill Wilson's 300 HAM'R round recently. Why? Well, I like the round for the same reason I was ABOUT to get into the 300 BLK - it is something I can fool around reloading with, using 5.56/.223 cases, and 30 cal bullets!

The appeal I have with the 300 HAM'R versus the 300 BLK is the fact that iit is intended from the get-go to be a supersonic cartridge, not subsonic with the low & slow approach of the 300 BLK intent. I mean, I totally get the reason why the 300 BLK exists - but for my interests, developing a "true" 30-30 ballistics sort of round out of a stock-format AR 15 setup is a big appeal.

Anyways, I see that although you can't really get complete uppers except from Wilson Combat or other high end sources, Wilson does sell the barrels and for the roughly $275 I saw advertised, that's nice. And just like the BLK, you don't change the bolt or anything. I know this is sort of a ramble, but I wondered if anyone else had fooled around with the 300 HAM'R yet.

Apparently it's great for deer and hogs. Least that's what Bill Wilson said! LOL

Thanks - Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: 300 HAM'R - learning to love this!

Post by RBHarter »

Going that route if it was me ...... I'd get a SS 300 BO and use either a 30 Herrett or a PPC reamer in it and keep the neck of the BO . Then it becomes a rimless Herrett or a 7.62×39 AI , obviously using the x39 in the x39 chamber , or 6.8 SPC or 22 NOS in the Herrett chamber . The 22 NOS is the same dimensions as 6.8 but with a rebated 223 rim . The true Herret is on a 30-30 case reduced to 1.75 or something like that .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Lots of talk about it locally. I wouldn't mind trying one I just don't think now is the time to add a cartridge and the tools/components needed to load and shoot it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Gunny268
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Gunny268 »

One of my guys at the PD, who is an avid hog hunter, just had to have one. So he purchased the Wilson stainless 16" w/mid gas port. He had an an extra 18" A3 upper, so I stripped it and assembled the 30 HAMR barrel to it. Results were very good. But, depending on the eccentricities if the components used, we had to play around with different buffer weights and definitely an adjustable gas block. (Ammo wasn't cheap)
Needless to say, he is now a VERY HAPPY camper.
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Thanks for everyone's feedback on my post. I wanted to chime in with another observation.

Wilson Combat is currently showing stock of all the components someone would need to get into the 300 HAM'R conversion for an AR - down to the brass and the bullets. Bag of 100 cases by Starline, 30 beans. Bag of 500 cases, 145 beans. https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Brass-300- ... RCASE-100/

They stock and sell Lee and RCBS dies and everything. I'm getting hooked and that's a good distraction for me at least!
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.

Return to “Rifle Discussions”