Smith & Wesson 4516

Open forum for handguns.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Smith & Wesson 4516

Post by GasGuzzler »

I am not a stainless guy at all but this is not a revolver or a lever rifle so it's fine. Boy this pistol is built like a tank. I got it as a defense arm. I had a chance to trade up from the tiny plastic Beretta Nano 9X19 to this "carry size" .45 AUTO. I think it weighs three pounds loaded (7+1). I still have a S&W Shield 9 if I need a tiny plastic gun. Pistol with two OEM mags and a leather OSWB holster for basically my Nano and 150 bucks (although I sold my stuff to one guy and bought this from another). Seems like a fair trade ... oh and I threw in 150 rounds of OEM 9X19 that I paid $24 for that's "worth" $96 now. Saw this gun for sale at 5 AM, contacted the seller via text (traded with him before), listed my Beretta for sale, sold it and had it picked up, then seller delivered this S&W all before lunch.

It came with some horrific Hogue rubber grips (I generally do not like aftermarket grips of any kind) I since changed for OEM I got from Numrich. I also cleaned it really well and re-sheened the stainless back to the "proper" look ... somewhere in it's past someone tried to "polish" it and it looks better with a satin look to me. I polished the feed ramp and the part of the barrel that is seen through the ejector window in the slide. I ordered a recoil buffer for it this AM.

Ammo: All I have is OEM FMJ, my own recipe of FMJ, and a "have it for it's oddity" box of vintage Black Talon. I was considering using the Lee 452-255-RF bullet for defense because of the nose profile but after a good while of searching I think it might be 20 grains heavy and probably too long from the base to the crimp groove. I have a Lee 90346 (TL452-230-2R) but it's the old style with the alignment "bars" and I'm not so sure a LRN is the greatest choice for defense. The only other Lee 2-holer with the old style alignment bars I've had was a .358" mold I couldn't get to cast, the original owner couldn't get to cast, and an experienced caster friend couldn't get it to cast (I had him throw it away). Most I've read online about heavy bullets for .45 AUTO were in 1911's which depending on several factors, might be "weaker" than this third generation all stainless S&W...?

What say you? Can I use the 452-255-RF over HP-38 or Unique? I also have Universal, TiteGroup, W231, Bullseye, AutoComp, Power Pistol, and likely 5-7 more pistol powders. Maybe about five grains AutoComp...

EDIT 1 - I have cast some of the TL452-230-2R and they look fine. I have about 40-50 made and tumble lubed. I have primed brass (bought for a song before the minor SHTF) I'll use first (to save loose primers).

EDIT 2 - I started digging in my stuff and found several boxes of Hornady 185 gr XTP I also bought for a song never thinking I'd use them...

Thoughts welcome. Here's the pictures.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Smith & Wesson 4516

Post by Macd »

Beautiful! Nothing feels like the heft of a nice steel frame gun. I have two. Heavy for a day of shooting but that nice substantial weight on the end of the arm is comforting.

I use the Lee 230 cast in both 45 auto and 45 Colt. I cast it soft by adding 10 % stick-on wheel weights to my melt of clip-ons.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

For whatever it's worth .....
The 255 worked fine in 1917s using Speer #12 data for their 260 HP , mine dropped 265 gr .
The 454424 didn't shoot at all well for me .
I shot some PC 454423s at 248 gr and PC . They shot ok but not great . The Lee 452-200 RF and RCBS 45-200 were very good .
A gentleman just sent me 50 NOE version of the 454423 with the large HP . This was intended to run as a Kieth style SWC in 1911s . Flying ashtray is a fair description of the bullet at 232 gr
, There's about 12-15 gr out of that crater in the nose . Ideally I think I would like to have either the 452-200 stretched or the 255 shortened to 230 alas no such beast . Those more knowledgeable than me are hot on the 452-230 TC in both groove styles .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Not just "built like tank" Gas, they are tanks, I've had a couple, went over them thoroughly,
never a problem. Triggers were instinctual for me being a double/single action guy from way back.
Trigger on the Smiths were a good bit better than my P345's.. Nice grab, nice looking work,
I love a Matt stainless!!!
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Loaded up some Hornady XTP"s over 7.0 grains of AutoComp @ 1.260" for defensive carry for now.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Handgun Discussions”