Another "Thinking of a new gun" thread.

Open forum for handguns.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Another "Thinking of a new gun" thread.

Post by mikld »

Update; after much searching vendors, and from my research a reliable, comfortable gun (trigger on a striker gun is very important to me) I found an IWI Masada M9ORP17 and ordered it. I have checked several reviews and believe IWI to produce good, quality, reliable guns. I think I'll be satisfied (and if sootch00 is correct, I'll have a really accurate fun gun). I'll check back in when it arrives (should get it in less than a week as every order I've placed with Classic Firearms has shipped quickly to my FFL)
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Enjoy the new gun.
mikld

Post by mikld »

After the "virus delays" (five days extra shipping and an extra 3 days backup for an NICS check), I finally picked it up. Masada M90RP17 9mm. I have always been excited when unboxing a new gun but I was really impressed with the new Masada. The box is a heavy cardboard (meh) but the packing is excellent. The heavy foam inserts fit the gun, magazines and accessories perfectly. The gun comes with 2 extra 17 shot mags., two extra backstraps, a cable lock (meh!) and literature including an excellent owner's manual. First I fingered it for about 3 minutes then disassembled it. Controls stiff but not terribly hard to use. Slide removal took 3 seconds; lock slide back, push disassembly lever down, release slide, pull trigger, remove slide. While not necessary for normal maintenance/cleaning I removed the firing assembly (this is the "gun" as it is serial numbered). Very easy, just remove the lever and slide the assy. forward and up. Cleaned all parts and was impressed with the very good machining and finish. No machining marks, had good sharp corners, good finish and clean. Reassembly is straight forward striker fired pistol method, but reinstalling the firing assy. I could have used a couple extra hands as the trigger must be held back, a small spring (3/16"x1/2") must be aligned and the assy. inserted in a rearward and downward motion. Excellent trigger, for me, as my crude trigger pull gauge read a bit over 5 lbs for 5 tries and the reset looked like approx 1/4". Not a lot of take up and crisp break with very little over travel. Overall a good quality gun that feels good in my hand, looks good and so far without shooting, functions well. I have 2 boxes of factory 124 FMJ, about 1 1/2 box Hornady 124 XTP and mebbe 50-60 124 Gold Dot handloads. When it stops raining here and things quieten down (still virus fears) I'll run a bunch through it and give a range report.

I'm not an "expert" gun writer nor do I do gun reviews, just my impressions from a life long machinist/mechanic and long time shooter (58 years)...
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I don't know why I read these "stupid" threads. ;) You made me go look at the offerings from IMI. Several. Now I want a Jerico 941. The all steel 9mm one. What reviews these guns are getting. If I can get my hands on one it will be a done deal. When/if the 45 acp models ever show up guess what? That too. You're spending my money Mikld. As Michael once stated "just adding to the estate".... :lol:
mikld

Post by mikld »

All the reviews I've read and watched give the Jericho very good marks. For some reason I skipped that one, maybe availability? Any way I was impressed by IWI products, available parts and accessories, and I sorta support Israel (if I could have found a gun made it America that fit my wants/needs I probably would have bought it) and I'm satisfied with the Masada so far...
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Reading my post I realize I didn't state the review(s) part well. It should read "WOW, what GREAT reviews these pistols have received!!!!! :shock:
larryw

Post by larryw »

horseman wrote:I don't know why I read these "stupid" threads. ;) You made me go look at the offerings from IMI. Several. Now I want a Jerico 941. The all steel 9mm one. What reviews these guns are getting. If I can get my hands on one it will be a done deal. When/if the 45 acp models ever show up guess what? That too. You're spending my money Mikld. As Michael once stated "just adding to the estate".... :lol:

+corn +corn +corn
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
mikld

Post by mikld »

Well, here's the range report; 225+ rounds. Half factory 124 FMJ the rest a mix of handloads; 125 gr Gold Dots, Hornady XPT, RMR 124 gr JHP, 125 Hi-Tec Lead TC, and some RMR 124 gr TC with CFE Pistol, Unique, TiteGroup and BR-5. One load didn't feed 100%, the RMR JHP. They plunked in my Ruger and I used Nosler data, but with the bullet was a hair different shape and the ogive hit the rifling about .005"- .008" too soon. All others functioned 100%. I cannot attest to accuracy as old age, health problems and lack of activity have drastically taken it's toll on my marksmanship. Gun worked great, was not hard to operate and felt great. Very good trigger, controls and magazines. I did a couple magazine dumps,17 rounds, and that was fun! (Perhaps my crappy shooting is just getting used to a new gun. I think I'll get my 1911 out and see if my marksmanship has deteriorated with my old friend or if it's just a new gun).
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Shooterrick2020 »

I have the Springfield XDS the Sig Sauer p938 and Rock Island Armory 1911 in 9 mm and have no trouble with any of them my primary carry is the XDS the 938 for a small similar 1911 shoots extremely well and The Rock Island Armory shoots without a hitch
If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got.

Return to “Handgun Discussions”