My Rock Island 1911

Open forum for handguns.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

My Rock Island 1911

Post by horseman »

Pretty long post here Gents so bear with me as I am a yakker for sure....

I'm pretty sure I mentioned purchasing a RIA 45 Auto (acp ;) ) about a month or so ago. Got around 700 rounds through it,using my hand loads at mostly near full power loads using 200gr. RMR plated bullets and 185gr. and 230gr. Hornady FTX bullets. Just ordered 300 more of the Hornady 230's and another 100 of the 185s. I also ordered 300 pieces of Starline 45 Super brass. Guess you all can see where this is heading, huh. :lol:

This che-- err, inexpensive pistol is getting to be not so "inexpensive" it would seem. This gun comes "stock" with a 20lb main spring and an 18 pound recoil spring. And from what I've read from others (spring salesmen) that after around 500 rounds the "stock" springs pretty much should be replaced if shooting full power loads. I was going to anyway. So, what I've done SO FAR to set up for 45 super (I've done lot's of reading on this) is a flat bottom firing pin stop with xtra power firing pin spring. Spring changes are 25lb main (hammer) spring (also have a 23lb) and a Sprinco recoil system. The Sprinco is a dual spring system, a shorter captured spring that is I believe 35lb (maybe more on the one I bought) that is held in place on the guide rod (sorta, you have to look at one) but you can change the "regular" recoil spring to whatever rate you want. It's made in the USA, has a lifetime guarantee against breakage and is a work of art to see. It ain't cheap at a bit over 100 bucks for the Corbon unit (that kind of says it all) I purchased and it comes with three different weight recoil springs, 16lb, 18lb, and 20lb. I've been using it a bit and whether or not it reduces recoil or not I'm not sure, I have no way to measure that other than how it feels when you shoot with it. It seems to me to shoot "softer" but the real reason I bought it wasn't for recoil it was to help eliminate as much frame, slide battering as I could. I also purchased some Wolff springs from 18 up to 23lb and they each come with a corresponding firing pin spring for (?). Right now (my super brass hasn't arrived yet) I'm just shooting some "stiff" (read +P) loads of Silhouette powder and 230gr. xtp bullets using just a 16lb recoil spring (along with the other changes mentioned) everything functions well (tried the 18lb recoil spring first and gun would not lock back on last round so dropped to the 16) brass ejects about 8 feet with no FTF or FTE. Information from Sprinco says that when using their system you can generally drop back a couple pounds from the recoil spring rate you are currently using for your loads, and that's exactly where I'm at right now. When I get to Super, "most" Super shooters are using 24lb and up to 28lb recoil springs but I'm thinking that 23lb Wolff spring will be just the ticket. We'll see. I've read that you should go with as heavy a spring until the gun won't lock back on last round with the loads you're shooting then drop a couple lbs. (general idea) Seems to have been about right for me. Oh, almost forgot, put some really good looking (to me) thin grip stocks on the gun also. +guns ...........more to follow. I should add my Pard Larryw has been a big help to me with all this. Hopefully you all won't be callin' me Lefty after I start this 45 Super stuff.... :lol:
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: My Rock Island 1911

Post by GasGuzzler »

I switched my RIA to a mil-spec (non-ambi) safety (the ambi is too clunky and grabs on everything) and a mil-spec guide rod and cap (instead of the full length rod and open cap) for the ability to rack the slide one-handed and for looks. I kept the OEM RIA skeletonized trigger and hammer and the stock Novak knock off sights. Previous owner swapped the OEM rubber grips for some Colt-style checkered walnut panels. It's one of the only firearms I own that has not had any internal modifications at all as in springs or hammer/sear/disconnector mods. It had 50 rounds through it when I got it and I've probably put 100 more so it's not worn in yet.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

GasGuzzler wrote:I switched my RIA to a mil-spec (non-ambi) safety (the ambi is too clunky and grabs on everything) and a mil-spec guide rod and cap (instead of the full length rod and open cap) for the ability to rack the slide one-handed and for looks. I kept the OEM RIA skeletonized trigger and hammer and the stock Novak knock off sights. Previous owner swapped the OEM rubber grips for some Colt-style checkered walnut panels. It's one of the only firearms I own that has not had any internal modifications at all as in springs or hammer/sear/disconnector mods. It had 50 rounds through it when I got it and I've probably put 100 more so it's not worn in yet.
I recall the photo of yours. Very nice, and is the one I originally was looking at. It's a nicer unit to the one I bought, the plain Jane Government model. I haven't done anything to the sear, disconnecter or ejecter at this point and won't unless I get an issue. After I get through "figuring" out a couple good Super loads and shooting a enough that the "novelty" wears off I'll probably set up with a 23lb main and 16lb recoil spring for "normal" 45 and +p loads. You need to get out and shoot that thing more, you haven't even got the "pretty" off it yet. I can tell you the more I shoot this one the more I enjoy it. Although in all honesty I may not "enjoy" the Super that much, we'll see, but I get little enjoyment from shooting the pedestrian loads a lot of folks seem to shoot outa' them. If I want to do that kind of stuff I'll load 6g. Trail Boss in one of my 45 colts and watch the bullet hit the target. But, those ARE fun for some reason.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Well, as fun as it is "Watching the bullet hit the target" I sure wouldn't want to be the
one "watching" that hunk of metal come at me!!! I like big & slow, I feel good with
big & slow & in a highly populated area like we are in, over penetration (read enter & exit)
concerns are greatly reduced. When we lived in the hills, different story, big earth shaking
44mags or .454's. Big old mean things in the woods that want me as a snack??? Yup, your
right.. I would pack a 105 recoiless if I could figure out how to carry it????
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

larryw wrote:Well, as fun as it is "Watching the bullet hit the target" I sure wouldn't want to be the
one "watching" that hunk of metal come at me!!! I like big & slow, I feel good with
big & slow & in a highly populated area like we are in, over penetration (read enter & exit)
concerns are greatly reduced. When we lived in the hills, different story, big earth shaking
44mags or .454's. Big old mean things in the woods that want me as a snack??? Yup, your
right.. I would pack a 105 recoiless if I could figure out how to carry it????

I ran two cylinders full of the 6gr. Trail Boss load under a 250(ish) cast from the Lee 250gr RNFP mold out of my 4inch Redhawk 45 colt and the avg. was a pretty consistent 766fps. Never chrony'd them from the 4 5/8 or 5 1/2. Probably would hit 800 and that ain't bad.. ;) especially considering the easy recoil and accuracy. You can comfortably shoot these with one hand, just like in the movies..... +guns
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Shooterrick2020 »

GasGuzzler wrote:I switched my RIA to a mil-spec (non-ambi) safety (the ambi is too clunky and grabs on everything) and a mil-spec guide rod and cap (instead of the full length rod and open cap) for the ability to rack the slide one-handed and for looks. I kept the OEM RIA skeletonized trigger and hammer and the stock Novak knock off sights. Previous owner swapped the OEM rubber grips for some Colt-style checkered walnut panels. It's one of the only firearms I own that has not had any internal modifications at all as in springs or hammer/sear/disconnector mods. It had 50 rounds through it when I got it and I've probably put 100 more so it's not worn in yet.

Did you keep the Ambi safety..
If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Yes but I keep all my parts together with the firearms.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Handgun Discussions”