Thinking of a getting a new handgun

Open forum for handguns.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Thinking of a getting a new handgun

Post by horseman »

Getting the urge to buy a new pistol. Was pretty sure, actually was sure, that it would be a 1911 45ACP. I've had a couple years back (Kimbers) and liked them just fine. At that time I just wasn't "into" auto's so sold them along with a two tone Hi Power in 9mm (don't say it, I know, bad mistake on that one). This "new" one will not be necessarily for concealed carry as I want a full size with 5inch barrel but we also can open carry here. I have and carry a Ruger SR9c and it's my only self loading handgun. So in effect this will not have a particular purpose other than for "general" use and I want one. What I was looking at was a RIA with the fiber optic front and adjustable rear sights with the other "trick" stuff (beavertail, trigger, hammer, that "stuff) don't remember the model right now but it rolls in around 600 bucks..... THEN.... I got a look at a Glock 40 in 10mm. What a beast. I can't find a thing about this gun that I don't like either other than It's no where near as good looking as the 1911, but it carries a LOT more rounds in the mag, has a 6inch barrel (who cares really) and no one can say that a Glock isn't dependable. Around the same cost. Out to 50 or so yards really not to much between the two as far as accuracy and terminal performance. Big and slow(er) vs not quite as big and fast(er). Two different way's to get the same job done. So I guess this really comes down to which caliber because as far as the platform goes the 1911 wins on looks alone. I'm still thinking 45acp but would like other opinions as maybe there is something I'm missing, not that familiar with the 10mm other than about 25 years or so ago it was beating the crap outa the Colt Delta Elites. So give me a hand making up my mind. Whats yer druthers.... +corn

Edit: The Glock 20 in 10mm is the one with that is the same price area, has a 5inch barrel like the 1911. The Glock 40 is about a 100 bucks more. Doable.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Thinking of a getting a new handgun

Post by horseman »

Well okay, it would seem I need to come out of my cave a bit more often to look around. There seems to be more than a few 1911 style 10mm caliber guns on the market. No, I did not know that (other than the Colt Delta Elite which I didn't know they even made anymore). As I said prior, I am not a self loading pistol aficionado so pay little attention to them, even the ones that have been around for a couple three decades it seems. That said, RIA, from all reviews I have seen, makes a very good one for under 600 bucks and it's a double stack to boot. I have only seen pictures of them (any 10mm) so a slight concern the grip on the double stack may be a bit large for my not so big hands (I wear a size large glove). My original "want" was/is a 1911 style because to me that's what an auto loader should look like. My Ruger SR9c is a nice little piece, functions well and does what it's supposed to do. But I do not particularly like it's "generic" looks. In fact, most all of these type guns look pretty much the same to me. If they didn't have names on them I wouldn't know the difference. But I do know a 1911 when I see one, maybe not the brand or caliber but definitely the style. That is the reason I was looking at the 45acp round. But the double stack 10 in a 1911 sure sounds inviting.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

An exciting and fun predicament to be in!

I'm a fan of the 45 Auto and conceal carry a Taurus 745. I've had different 45 Auto pistols over the years to include the 1911s of various models, but since the 745, I haven't looked at another. The 745 is not available anymore, and when I found out they were to be discontinued, I bought another NIB, and it is stored in my safe should I ever wear it out.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Always been a 1911 fan and carried a compact commander for several years. I recently acquired a SA XDe in 45ACP, it has become my every day carry gun. I really like it and as a fan of "old fat and slow" it serves its purpose nicely.

Make smoke and Happy New year,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Hands down get a 1911 45 Auto and the RIA is a good choice. $600 is waaaay more than the street price. It's a single stack though. I changed out the full length guide rod (OEM upgrade ?) for GI parts and swapped the ugly ambidextrous safety (OEM upgrade ?) for GI parts for different reasons AND because of looks. Previous owner installed the checkered walnut grips. Only other thing I changed was I blacked out the small RIA logo on the slide. The original run of these has a GIANT billboard on the side. GI parts actually fit this Brazilian gun.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

EXACTLY.....Very nice GG. I think you're right. The model I was looking at has the adjustable sights, more than likely not needed as I'm not into shooting disciplines of any type and combat sights would be adequate for bad breath distances out to 50yds I'm sure, but I do like the idea for different loadings. But I'll think about that a bit more. Nice gun...yeah, I think I "need" one.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

In my eyes ,I'm the one that actually nit picks pages of load data , BC , etc etc , the difference between the 40 and 45ACP is about as much a selling point as 38 SPL vs 9mm . You get extra rounds with the 40 and 9mm . The 10mm however is more like 9mm to 357 over the 40 and under 210 gr the 45 ACP even as a Roland isn't in the race . I haven't looked in about 10 years but I'd be willing to bet that at 230 gr the 10 has the edge even if it's a dead heat at the muzzle .

That brings us back to life of the platform . Since the 10 Bren came along there has been a whole evolution of multirate springs , buffering , spring kits , and chassis tuning for the 1911 including guide rod spring buffers . A long slide or 5" barrel 1911 is going to be the prime base for a 10 mm .
The Glock on the other hand was built around the cartridge and aside from just flat out wearing one out and the hopeless lack of aesthetics it's probably the best bet .

So what you really have to decide on is do you want the JMB with the tinker toy option or Gaston's work horse that shows up and works in the same boots and shirt every day .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

While I may agree with all that you say, especially the performance between the two, however I have seen some 185' loads for the 45 that aren't lagging that far behind. But, to me they both do what their intended purposes are very well. At least my perceived idea of intended purposes. I do know of the reputations of both and that the Glock is a preferred weapon of choice for many in the "business" of serving in various capacities, but my personal (non-professional) preference is the "tinker toy" and "bells & whistles" one (and besides who wants a gun designed by a guy named Gaston?) This is just a pleasure type gun purchase and there is no way I will ever wear either one out from shooting. It will be shot, used and reloaded for but mostly it's just to have one, and showin' off of course. All meant with good humor as always.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

Re: GasGuzzler I believe the RIA is made in the Philippines, not Brazil. I know that the American Tactical is also made in the Philippines. That is the one that I went with when I decided to get a 45. I have shot a Delta Elite in 10mm and that was a whole lot of fun. The price tag was quite a bit higher than I would want to go though. I went with the GI version, plain and simple, does not like flat nose projectiles though.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I should have looked it up before I wrote Brazil.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Handgun Discussions”