Thinking of a getting a new handgun

Open forum for handguns.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Thinking of a getting a new handgun

Post by horseman »

And it just keeps getting better. 45 Super. So, it's been around for 25 years or so. Did I know that? No. I'm not sure I'd ever even heard of it. Why, because I never had an interest. I have heard of 460 Rowland, 475 Whidley for instance but I have no idea of what they really are. Why, they don't interest me. So upon doing just a little investigating of the venerable 45acp these things start showing up and all of a sudden i'm getting interested. And a little knowledge. I've learned more about the 45acp (and other"s) in the last three days of reading that makes me wish I had done this years ago instead of "move along, nothing to see here folks". I'm pretty sure I would of had at least ONE 45 super, and I'm pretty sure it would have been a Springfield V16 long slide. I'd buy one today if they weren't going at such a used price (you could probably buy a custom Les Baer for close to the same money). It's also interesting (and somewhat amusing) reading responses to doing a 45 Super with a 1911 45 acp (or most other styles) "No, No, don't do it, you'll shoot yer eye out", "if you need more than the standard 45acp then buy a bigger gun", "the gun won't take the abuse" type stuff. "The sky is falling", if you bring up the point that they make the 1911 (for instance) in 10mil and it works just fine, you get.... crickets.....to me it's "why the heck not do it"...why buy a 45 Colt caliber in a large frame Ruger if not for the same reason. Enough of my ramblings, I think this is where I'm going to go.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Howdy Horseman & happy everything.. Answer your voice mail !!!!!
Well 45 Super?? Don't know anything about it. Handgun, well I'm a wheel gun fan but, my all time
favorite 45acp, hands down, is an early 1970's Colt, steel frame, Combat Commander.
Out of the box, more accurate than you or I will ever hope to be, & in stock configuration,
ALMOST, almost, Glock reliable. Easily, & inexpensively slicked up & tuned to a very high level.
Personally, from experience & IMHO if you need more than 5,6 or 8 rounds, other than a wildlife situation,
or full on war, you shouldn't have been in that place to begin with, & you know it !!!!
Bet you wish you hadn't given away all that 45acp stuff Hu ???
Guess I can start asking you this question again now,, Need any 45acp brass??? :lol: :lol:
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Kaiser
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Kaiser »

GasGuzzler - I'm with RB on the esthetics of the Glock (bias alert - I have never been a fan). A Glock of any caliber always seem to work, and are as ugly as sin! The higher capacity magazines of the 10mm, if that is your preference, holds a lot more of the "high priced" ammo and "odd sized" bullets than any "easy to get" .45 (or 10mm) in a 1911 platform. To me, there is not a prettier or more "manly" +guns designed pistol than a 1911. It was designed before WWI and survived "trench" warfare, guerrilla warfare, and thousands of "green" troops' abuse. It has history, reliability, and hundreds of accessories to make it into anything you may desire; except, it has a limited magazine capacity, is heavier (unloaded), and is SA auto only (in most makes).

I have a Colt Commander made in the 70's without mods, and a RI with just about every accessories a person would want. The Rock Island will out shoot the Colt on most days. Just comparing it side by side with a Glock (even the RI), makes me want hide the Glock in the closet (or truck's glove box) :) Seriously, I have really considered a 10mm Glock myself because they are reputed to be "bear stoppers" by some guides and their legendary reliability until I shot one and considered how often I would use one or practice with it.

Having revealed my completely biased opinion, it matters not. If your choice is a pistol you can be proud of, want to show your friends, want to shoot it often, or pass it on to a relative (a "ten what?"). Anyway, let us all know what you think of the Glock after you "scratched that itch". All the best.
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Shooterrick2020 »

I have two riaa's. For the money they're hard to beat I have one in 45 and one in 22 TCM conversion 9 mm. . Both of them function well and let's face it someone really has to try hard the screw up John brownies design.. I also have a Kimber which is a beautiful firearm but at the range I can't tell you I enjoy one more than the other.
If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Up front, I'm not a fan the Glock, if someone gave me one I'd trade for a 1911. Designed in the first part of the last century it survives and thrives to this day. And to quote a T-shirt "Old fat and slow works"

Stay well, be safe make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns

Return to “Handgun Discussions”