Open forum for handguns.
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

.380 auto

Post by orerancher »

I think I want a .380....
Anyone know anything about the Bersa Thunder? Looks kinda like a PPK...
Anyone load Cast Bullets in the .380?

Thanks!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: .380 auto

Post by RBHarter »

I have a 358-90 RNFP for the 380s I shoot . Those are a G42 and LCP . I did shoot a PPK/S once . It was really nice , I liked it a lot , not more than both the LCP and G42 combined but it was nice .
For carry every day the LCP would get the nod but for the slightly larger G42 being able to train with it and actually shoot it reasonably comfortably and a 100rn and not feel beat to death I'll take it .

Straight WW , Darrs lube , 3.5 gr of Unique . I'll probably switch to Red Dot to get away from some of the flash .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've got two 380s, both Taurus pistol, the Millenium Pro, and a TCP (738).

The TCP has become my primary, daylight, carry pistol. I shoot a 100-grain bullet of my design, the TL358-100-RF.

When I looked at a small frame 380, I held in hand and examined the Kel-Tec 3AT, Ruger LCP, and the Taurus TCP (738). When it came down to it, the Taurus won as it was the only pistol of the three that had "big" pistol features to include a locking slide and slide locked back on the last shot. The 3AT had neither, the LCP only the locking slide (I think they added the slide locked back in a later version). I shot the LCP and TCP against each other, and the TCP was a better pistol.

I carry the pistol in a slide holster and with any pistol carry two spare magazines on my support side.

The Millenium Pro (PT138) is a sweet pistol; I shoot my TL358-125-RF with it. Honestly, I don't carry it much. I have Millenium Pro in the 32 Auto, 380 Auto, 9mm Luger, and 45 Auto. My thing with these is why carry any of the others when you can carry the 45 Auto.

Taurus discontinued both pistols. The Spectrum replaced the TCP, and they no longer make a large frame 380 Auto. I know a lot of people disrespect the 380 Auto, and it's killing authority. I've killed several hogs with the cartridge in spot and stalk hunting. It will hammer the crap out of them.
Michael
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Ranch Dog wrote:I know a lot of people disrespect the 380 Auto, and it's killing authority. I've killed several hogs with the cartridge in spot and stalk hunting. It will hammer the crap out of them.
Thank you Michael.
In no way do I feel "under gunned" with a good 380
& proper load. I will also guarantee anyone, even
with a 22LR in a tiny firearm, if I empty it into
someones face, neck, liver or pelvis, that person
Isn't going to bother me any longer.
It all comes down to practice & train, train, train.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Kaiser
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Kaiser »

I've shot several Bersa .380's and like them for the following reasons: 1) they are the perfect sized .380 where recoil is not objectionable relative to a reasonably concealable size 2) reliability is right up there with brands costing considerably more 3) while being made in Argentina, the quality is excellent and the company stands behind their product 4) price point at or below other brands make it a bargain.

I owned one for quite sometime before I gave up loading .380 and sold it to a friend. The only feature I did not like, which applies to many other brands as well, is the magazine safety that requires the magazine to be seated in the pistol before it can be fired. (This feature is easily disable by taking the "offending" spring out; at the owner's risk and discretion - UTube illustrates this procedure.)

Most .380's, IMO, are too small for "field" or target shooting (LCP's, Keltecs, Taurus, et al) with poor sights; and more noise and recoil than necessary. They are great for carry, but don't promote accurate shooting of a fine cartridge. A .380 housed in a Bersa, S&W Shield, Glock, or Walther makes a good "double duty" pistol that is far more capable than originally considered. (I've never considered it a suitable "hog gun", but if RD says it works I guess I'd reconsider.) My .02.
larryw

Post by larryw »

You forgot the great, slick, comfortable yet usually overpriced
Browning BDA. Bigger than some, smaller than others but,
just oozes class..
Bowman81

Post by Bowman81 »

I load .380 cast for my OMC Backup ( forerunner to the AMT) and my brother's Taurus 738. I use WW231 and RD 95gr. FP and NOE 92gr. RN cast. Both loaded to 875 fps or so. The 738 is a bit finicky with the flat point round and OAL has to be just right for reliable functioning....the OMC eats either with no issues. I am not a fan of the 380 for every day carry, but the 380 is certainly no toy.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

I have a Ruger LCP. I use the Lee 356-95-RF powder coated and sized .357. When I got it I bought 2,500 mixed once fired brass for reloading. About half of the headstamps would not chamber a .357 sized bullet because of the thickness of the brass . I loaded these with a .355 jacketed bullet and they worked fine.
mikld

Post by mikld »

I just got a SCCY in 380 a few weeks ago. So far I've only fired a few Hornady factory loads, mebbe 7 handloads (Hornady XTP over CFE Pistol). I fired a few handloads in my shop at a stack of magazines taped together. The results were impressive. The 90 gr bullet expanded about as much as possible without fragmenting, and I'm sure would be a bit less in gel or flesh (a good thing). I don't think I'd feel under gunned with that load. I only bought a 380 Auto because I didn't have one... ;)
larryw

Post by larryw »

mikld wrote: I only bought a 380 Auto because I didn't have one... ;)
Best reason I can think of :D

Return to “Handgun Discussions”