S&W 1917- M25 45 ACP ???

Open forum for handguns.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

S&W 1917- M25 45 ACP ???

Post by RBHarter »

I've seen this other places so what the heck .
Auto Rim or Moon Clips ?

Fortunately for me I have 250 AR cases and 65 full moons so I don't have to make the decision for on or the other .
Clips
Pros , I can put 56 loaded clips in a 30 cal can , nobody looses their mind when I sat 6 shot 45 ACP clips , I've lost zero brass using them , unloading is easy with a demooning tool that cost me like $3 to make , it holds 12 , demooning is mindless enough to do while watching a movie , a 30 cal can holds 396 rounds ready to drop in and shoot , it's a faster reload than singles , the large tall pill bottles hold 4 clips .

Cons , loading/unloading clips , needing a tool to do it , cost of the clips ($0.86-$1.65 each .) , the space lost in the 30 cal can .......no actually there really isn't vs boxed loads , I don't know if clips will out live AR brass but pick up 45 ACP vs whatever AR costs .......that might be a wash .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Re: S&W 1917- M25 45 ACP ???

Post by Macd »

Haven't used moon clips but used a 9mm revolver that did that belonged to a friend. My Uberti came with a 45 acp cylinder that doesn't need them and I am glad.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

I use clips for mine. But that is, because I use it in WildBunch competition, where reloading is on the clock. Also, Auto Rim cartridges are incredibly expensive if you find them at all. My M1917 came with about 20 clips, up to now I don't see any wear on them at all.

I also made a simple demooner, but a mooning tool also would be very handy. I had an idea for a very handy tool that could either moon six or moon and demoon five, with just the flip of one small sheetmetal part. It turned out to be too expensive to make, because metric hex bar stock doesn't fit the hole in the clips, and machining from larger block makes it prohibitive expensive. If you're interested, I can attach some more pictures. An imperial hex head screw does fit perfectly, I've been told by a US cowboy action shooter. So for you guys it might be cheap to make.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Fyodor
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

Forgot the picture...
mooner-demooner.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

I shoot both in my Brazilian Contract 1917. interestingly, it is from the 1946 Brazilian contract, but 5 digit serial numbered to 1918, matching! It was one of the old stock of WWI guns/parts that Smith found in storage and used to fill the 1946 contract. It is rough, but shoots great and is a ton of fun to shoot!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Fyodor wrote:Forgot the picture...
mooner-demooner.PNG
You sir are just full of surprises . I don't think that would be to hard to make . I have a sheet metal brake and aircraft skills and tools there is often channel metal available locally SAE bolts are readily available also .
A loader would make things much faster . +guns
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Handgun Discussions”