9mm --- 9mm luger

Open forum for handguns.
franklin73
My Press Choice: Single Stage

9mm --- 9mm luger

Post by franklin73 »

So, what I've read says i can use 9mm brass with my 9mm luger. Also, I've read that the Lee dies for 9mm luger that I have will make 9mm luger out of 9mm. This true?
Also, should I clean out every primer pocket every time? I hand wash all my brass after removing the primers and resizing already in a tub with 1 quart water, 1 cup white vinegar, 1 tablespoon dish soap, 1 tablespoon salt. This wash seems to work REALLY well.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 9mm --- 9mm luger

Post by RBHarter »

Unlike many others that come to mind the 9 is known by too many names .
9mm
9x19
9 mm Para
9mm Parabelum (prepare for war)
9mm Luger (the original gun for it)
9mm NATO
Are all the same cartridge . Exactly the same whether in is headstamped LC17 or DWM 19 03 .
There are no catches or quid pro quo of thick necks , tapers or any of the other foolishness of 556/223 or 308/7.62 .
However I personally sort by headstamp , many don't , because Seller and Bellot have a smaller case capacity than many others and my standard load for Win , Fed , and Rem show flattening primers in S&B brass . Dies and chambers , within production limits , will be the same . Should you get into cast bullets you will find that the grooves are more likely to .357-8 than .355-6 .

Take what you need for now ......I get carried away sometimes.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

There are several 9mm out there in the wild. The most common is the 9mm Luger also the 9mm Parabellum. If you're reusing your fired cases that's what you've got. If it's range pick ups the head stamps will say 9mm Luger or 9mm P and maybe +P. All of the 9s are also designated by their metric size the Luger being 9x19 and you will now and again find that in the head stamp. You'll also probably find those have Berdan primers - scrap bin :)

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
jloader
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by jloader »

franklin73 wrote:Also, should I clean out every primer pocket every time?
That would depend where your brass falls on the range... is in dirt or sand... or on clean cement pad or indoor floor.
If dirt/sand then you definetely want to clean the brass every time. Sand will do a quick job on your resizing die. Even will get the cases stuck.

That liquid bath recipe does work great - even too great for 9mm. It will remove all carbon and leave the case squeaky clean. And yes, you may hear that sound (squeak) when resizing super-clean 9mm luger. That is because the side walls are not parallel (wider on bottom, narrower on top) so the die make contact with entire case at once (vs a narrow ring sliding all the way down evenly sized case diameter).
For that you could lube every 2nd-3rd case before resizing or... as I do in my case... run them in a tumbler for 3 hours with car NuFinish (just a teaspoon every 4-5 runs). That will make them nicely lubed.

If you are decapping using decap/resize die (all in one), then may I suggest getting a universal decap die ($12 on a-zon)? This way your wife could easily decap, nearly 0 force to push out the cap, and then you could wash the brass without the primer - will clean the pocked most of the time.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

Just a hint; If you haven't, get a copy of The ABCs of Reloading (you sound pretty new at reloading). Read it to see how reloading is done, and what tools/equipment are needed, and keep it for future refrence. I have been shooting and reloading handguns since 1969 and have only cleaned primer pockets that I can remember (38, 357, 44 /spec, 44 Mag, 9mm, 45 ACP) once or twice. I didn't get a tumbler for the first 12 years I reloaded, I just wiped each case with a solvent dampened rag and nope, no ruined dies, and yep, I could spot all defects. If I wanted some "BBQ brass" I'd push a case on a hardwood mandrel and polish w/steel wool and paste wax.

I recommend K.I.S.S. to new reloaders so as not confuse, frustrate them with too much "theory"...
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I forgot the P and +P , I have found that brass to be closer to the mean than the difference between Win and S&B .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Yes
Yes
No
Yes
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Before I started using wet stainless steel "tumbling" I never cleaned a primer pocket with handgun brass. It really isn't a necessary step. I'd just dump the fired brass (fired primer still in place) into a media tumbler (buzz bucket) for an hour or so and it was ready to reload. Dumping your brass in a tub with just warm soapy water and "swishing" around a bit will do all the "cleaning" needed. That includes "range brass" you find. For the most part the rest of this stuff (hours in a buzz bucket, sonic cleaning, wet tumbling) is just to "polish" the brass and make it look good, really doesn't have much effect on "shootability".....
HankRearden

Post by HankRearden »

Much of my 9 brass had crimped primer pockets. You must remove the crimp before trying to seat a new primer.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

HankRearden wrote:Much of my 9 brass had crimped primer pockets. You must remove the crimp before trying to seat a new primer.

Well, now you're going from brass cleaning to brass prepping.

Return to “Handgun Discussions”