Another 1917 Smith

Open forum for handguns.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Another 1917 Smith

Post by RBHarter »

Has it really been 2 years ? Apparently so .

Here is a link to date your early modern serialized Smith and Wesson as well as Colts 1917 ,1911s , Trapdoors , 03s and M14s .

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/milmods.htm

Questions were asked about the 1st 1917 . After review by a qualified Gunsmith we believe that the 1st is an untouched last of the Smith and Wesson production in September of 1918 .
Big deal they were only cranking out 677-8/day 7 days a week . However for me to acquire a genuine both high grade and loosely historical collector valued gun is against the peg for cool factor . Being 99 yr old and as good or maybe better than when it hit the issue depot absolutely amazing .

Loads 5.5 gr of Unique under all of my on hand bullets results in 6" Weaver like off hand groups at 25 yd . It is after all a combat pistol and pushing 100 yr old .

Enter the new girl ......
A butchered sister from April of 1918 separated by 63,000 1917s . I'll just let that set in for a minute , 12,000 pistols a month and the Army wasn't happy with production in 1918 .....

This new 1 has had everything thing done to wreck it that can be done from the firing pin forward . Chamfered chambers , bbl cut to 3" and the grips what the hell ........ :roll: they also took liberty's with the sights installing a target sight .
Fixed the grips on the way home , the Hogue mono grip looks and feels way 500% better .
Being a Saturday buy and having loaded clips and ammo at home it was a priority to shoot it .

The 45-200 SWC and a 230 LRN commercial bullets were about 3' high at 25yd and 2' high at 50 with the sight all the way down ...... That should make for a fine ladies gun . (Joke about the prepencity of women to shoot for the groin) . The next big thing is that the 3rd cylinder misfired . The grease and or shims must have blown out and allowed the cylinder to move forward . So there is a shim kit and/or a new/replacement cylinder on the board .
Not a big deal really , how often do you get to buy an "N" frame triple lock to build a double action 45 Colts on that almost anything you do is an improvement ?
Keeping that in mind I think that Schofield and safety margins for all but the 45 Mag is going the be the ticket . I can hot load the Schofield to 20kpsi and seat it long and still be well with in design and loaded for moderate hogs and medium bears . There is always loading Colts short but then I have to keep the Ruger ammo out of the Smith so again Schofield wins .
I'll see if I can wrangle some pictures to fit . Stay tuned .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Another 1917 Smith

Post by RBHarter »

The September sister
FB_IMG_1424727492830.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Another 1917 Smith

Post by RBHarter »

Got it sized and it still looks good ...... Considering what's been done to it .
IMG_20170227_173622175.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Handgun Discussions”