Open forum for handguns.
buckeye43210
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Progressive

Taurus Class Action

Post by buckeye43210 »

FYI: Saw this over on another site...
The Court has continued the hearing on final approval of the settlement until July 18, 2016. The claims period will not begin until after that time has passed. Additional details will be posted to this website.

If you own one or more of the following “Class Pistols” : PT-111 Millennium; PT-132 Millennium; PT-138 Millennium; PT-140 Millennium; PT-145 Millennium; PT-745 Millennium; PT- 609; PT-640; and PT-24/7 pistols (including the “PRO” series of each of these models), you may be entitled to the settlement benefits below. The settlement does not include Taurus G2 model pistols.
More details here.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter

Re: Taurus Class Action

Post by Steve »

What is the problem with those pistols?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steve wrote:What is the problem with those pistols?
Supposedly the Millennium Pro series has a "False Safe" problem. If the trigger is slightly depressed and the safety moved to "Safe"; when the safety is moved back to "Fire" the pistol discharges without pressure on the trigger.

I'm an Millennium Pro owner, I own five of them, and cannot replicate the alleged "False Safe" issue on any of my pistols. Not only have I followed the protocol to setup the "Fail Safe" but I've also beat on all my pistols with a rubber mallet and cannot make them discharge so I'm good to go. I also have problems with the settlement and filed an objection with the court concerning the conditions of the settlement.

What Taurus would like to see happen, pending an approval of the settlement, is all Pros be sent back for repair or replacement. The trouble I see is that they don't have a fix to accomplish the repair and instead will send you a Millennium G2 in return.

I would like to see Taurus identify the models that exhibit the problems by year of manufacture rather than blanket the whole series under the settlement. I would also like to see them make owners aware that they are not going to get their pistols back under any circumstance once they have it in their possession. Instead they will be sent a Millennium G2. I don't like the G2 offer for a couple of reasons; it is a new product that I feel was rushed to productions specifically to fill the need of this class action settlement, It is an unproven product that already has its own issues, and it is only available in 9mm Luger and 40 S&W. The last issue is a problem for those of us that own Millennium Pros chambered in 32 Auto, 380 Auto, and 45 Auto. The final is I have is that the G2 has an MSRP of only $308 vs. the Pro's average MSRP of $453.

You can also send your pistol back to Taurus for cash, a max of $200. The amount you actually receive depends on how many are sent back. I've see some projections that it could be very little.

There is also been a flood of pistoless owners who thought they would get the jump on the "recall" by sending their pistol in. Taurus doesn't need to do a thing unless the settlement is final. That was an idiotic move on the owner's part.
Michael
Steve

Post by Steve »

Sounds like you have proven your pistols safe.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I bought a Springfield XDS .45 cal ... a week before the recall announcement on them a few years ago. I was just getting acquainted with it (and actually beginning to like it ... for a plastic abomination), and decided to get in on the recall "early". I got a return shipping label the night they were available and shipped the next morning. At the time of the recall notice, they didn't even have a "fix" ready. Some 4-5 weeks later my pistol came back with a nasty, gritty trigger and was sold within a week. In the case o0f the XDS "malfunction", I still believe it was due to a disgruntled customer that may have "abused" his gun and spread such a nasty mess across the www that Springfield was taking a proactive/defensive action ... that ultimately ruined a lot of handguns.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

mr surveyor wrote:I bought a Springfield XDS .45 cal ... a week before the recall announcement on them a few years ago. I was just getting acquainted with it (and actually beginning to like it ... for a plastic abomination), and decided to get in on the recall "early". I got a return shipping label the night they were available and shipped the next morning. At the time of the recall notice, they didn't even have a "fix" ready. Some 4-5 weeks later my pistol came back with a nasty, gritty trigger and was sold within a week. In the case o0f the XDS "malfunction", I still believe it was due to a disgruntled customer that may have "abused" his gun and spread such a nasty mess across the www that Springfield was taking a proactive/defensive action ... that ultimately ruined a lot of handguns.

jd
That is like the JC Higgins recall 20 odd years ago. Some idiot stripped his threads out and was trying to shoot fast and the bolt came back and hit him in the face.
Je suis Charlie
Steve

Post by Steve »

62chevy wrote:
mr surveyor wrote:I bought a Springfield XDS .45 cal ... a week before the recall announcement on them a few years ago. I was just getting acquainted with it (and actually beginning to like it ... for a plastic abomination), and decided to get in on the recall "early". I got a return shipping label the night they were available and shipped the next morning. At the time of the recall notice, they didn't even have a "fix" ready. Some 4-5 weeks later my pistol came back with a nasty, gritty trigger and was sold within a week. In the case o0f the XDS "malfunction", I still believe it was due to a disgruntled customer that may have "abused" his gun and spread such a nasty mess across the www that Springfield was taking a proactive/defensive action ... that ultimately ruined a lot of handguns.

jd
That is like the JC Higgins recall 20 odd years ago. Some idiot stripped his threads out and was trying to shoot fast and the bolt came back and hit him in the face.
Don't forget the Remington triggers. to much gunk locking a adjustment could foul the trigger. They recalled all of that trigger type. And then this last recall on even more of them because one went off when an idiot was using it. When no doubt simple maintenance would have prevented it. Lousy lawyers!

Return to “Handgun Discussions”