Expander for Universal Expander Die

Do you have a product idea for Lee Precision?
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is not associated with Lee Precision, this is just a customer based discussion of product ideas.
jmortimer
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Expander for Universal Expander Die

Post by jmortimer »

The Universal Expander Die which is really a Universal "Flairing" Die, is a useful die body. Adding a neck expander to it is a simple proposition. If Lee Precision would offer expander plugs we would have the most useful Flairing/expander die body known to man.
"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
James. C. Henderson
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Expander for Universal Expander Die

Post by akuser47 »

Now thats an idea
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

jmortimer wrote:The Universal Expander Die which is really a Universal "Flairing" Die, is a useful die body. Adding a neck expander to it is a simple proposition. If Lee Precision would offer expander plugs we would have the most useful Flairing/expander die body known to man.
There are custom expander plugs out there... I just got a .460' and .461" expander plugs (neck expanders!) for my 45-70. Got them from Track of the Wolf. Others offer them also. But I agree, the die body with a specific consistent diameter expander plug (vs the tapered plug) is a GREAT IDEA! AND Lee would sell A TON of them, I bet. Especially in, say, custom neck sizes for the Marlin MG bbls - like the ones above I have for my MG 45-70.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Someone with a lath could wipe those out in no time at all and offer them cheap here and on cast boolits.

+guns
Je suis Charlie
jmortimer
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by jmortimer »

Unfortunately I am no machinist. I have been working on a couple options. Might have a prototype for a .357 soon. We shall see.
"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
James. C. Henderson
myloadm65
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by myloadm65 »

I have made several for different calibers on my lathe. Next project is an expander with a drop hole in it for the pdr measure.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Are we talking like inserts made like the Lyman M dies? I swear by the Lyman M dies for a lot of reloading and if they were made to be a powder drop even if it had to be manual that would alter my reloading in a huge way.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I have made several for universal decapers and a couple for particular dies. Mostly custom expanders but I do have a couple that do a special job like 1 for 762-39 in a rifle that takes a 318 cast and a 316 pp and bells the case while decapping as needed . The other is for use w/9mm dies for the 38 S&W as the 38/357 plug only opens to 356 and I need 359 for it. Their not hard to make even w/only drill press.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Product Ideas”