Case feeder Lee Pro 4000 Progressive

The little red box that started it all!
bitwyse0x07
My Press Choice: Progressive

Case feeder Lee Pro 4000 Progressive

Post by bitwyse0x07 »

All of the sudden when a case goes to feed into the first position, the case shoots out off the ramp. For some reason it tips backwards from the weight of other cases in the feeder tube and when it moves forward it shoots out.

It’s so frustrating. It doesn’t matter how fast or slow I move the handle it keeps shooting the case out and on the floor.

Has anyone experienced this and come up with a fix?

I’m reloading 9MM
bitwyse0x07

Re: Case feeder Lee Pro 4000 Progressive

Post by bitwyse0x07 »

Anyone have this issue? I’m really struggling with this.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

What does it do with just one case sent down through the tube? If it handles one case fine, the next step is two cases, then three, etc.

Pictures of the feeder and slider would help.

I don't have the 4000, but I have an Automator (not many out there) and four Loadmasters. All are using case feeders. The Automator is the original Pro 1000 but mounts on the Single Stage press. I was loading 38 Spl and had no issue with the feeder.

I have a topic about the press somewhere on the forum.
Michael
bitwyse0x07

Post by bitwyse0x07 »

It happens when there are over 10 cases in the tube. I’ve noticed lowering the tubes helps a little and adjusting the distance front to back on the slide also helps. It’s weird because it worked just fine out of the box. I’m not sure what changed. It’s so frustrating.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Take a look at my post in a Load-Master topic: https://www.lee-loader.com/posting.php? ... 82&p=33322

My four L-M's were used with cartridges ranging from the 25 Auto to the 45 Auto and rifles from the 218 Bee to the 7.69x39. One of the things I learned concerning the case feeder was that it needs to have a consistent adjustment for each cartridge, but the airspace between the feeder and case mouth was constant.

Lee's original L-M instructions, which I've used them since they were introduced, suggested bringing the case feed down to the case with a "nickel" sitting on the case mouth. That worked well, but my experience said to tighten the gap slightly. I started using a popsicle stick to establish the spacing.

You will also notice I replaced the upper nut with a lock nut. One of the nuts will loosen with vibration and then throw everything off. That is probably what has happened.

I also found if the slider goes any further aft than what's required for the case to clear, the case might depart the press. The case needs the slider to stabilize the drop.
Michael
bitwyse0x07

Post by bitwyse0x07 »

Thanks so much for the info Michael. I’m going to try your suggestions.

Return to “Lee Loader®”