Lee Loader .45 ACP in a 1911?

The little red box that started it all!
Lufbery
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Lee Loader .45 ACP in a 1911?

Post by Lufbery »

Hi all,

I bought my first 1911-A1 and would like to reload and I'm still on the Lee Loaders for my primary tools in other calibers. The Lee Loader instructions say they're not for auto-loaders. They also say that the .45 ACP kits don't have the case mouth flare tool and you're not supposed to crimp -- both statements that seem to indicate good loading info for rounds that are meant to be used in an auto loader.

So . . . has anyone loaded .45 ACP with a Lee Classic Loader and shot the loads in a 1911?

Thanks!
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Lee Loader .45 ACP in a 1911?

Post by cj8281 »

Hi. Yes I have used the Lee Loader to load for 45 ACP for my 1911. My first bullet that I tried was a poly coated bullet and it skimmed the poly off. I used the flaring tool from my 45 Colt kit to slightly flare the cases to accept the bullet without shaving the poly off. I then used the Colt die body to gently crimp the case mouth. They all ran without a hiccup through my G.I. version of an American Tactical 1911.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Chamfering the inside of the case mouth also helps.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Any of the kits are not cast/oversized bullet-friendly. Lee at one time offered custom flaring tools ($6-$8) at the diameter you specified. They only provide spec bullet sizes now.
Michael
Lufbery

Post by Lufbery »

Thanks everyone for the kind replies. I'm going to start loading .45 auto this weekend. I've got a chamfering tool and the Berry's plated bullets I bought have a very slight bevel at the base. My plan is to size and seat a few bullets without powder or primer to check functioning in my 1911. If I don't get bullet setback while cycling the slide, and everything feeds well, I should be good to go.

I just bought a bullet puller, so I should be able to salvage the bullets and cases from my dummy rounds.

I'll let everyone know how it goes. :-)
Lufbery

Post by Lufbery »

Everything with the dummies worked fine!

My main concerns were: (1) actually being able to seat the bullet -- all my prior loading experience with Classic Loaders has been with revolver cartridges where I flare the case mouth before seating the bullet and then crimp afterwards, or with the .303 British where I'm loading boattail bullets; and (2) the case not holding the bullets securely enough and the bullets being set back while being loaded from the magazine to the chamber of my 1911.

The orgins of my concern are twofold: First, Amazon's listing for the .45 auto Classic Loader (and indeeed all the Classic Loaders) has the warning, "Please note: the Classic Lee Loader neck sizes only. This is not recommended for semi, pump and lever action guns." The thing is, that warning applies to rifle cartridge loading kits; it doesn't appear on Lee's web site for pistol cartridges. Quite the opposite, there's good instructions for loading 9mm, .45 Auto, and .30 Carbine regarding chamfering the inside of the case mouth and seating the bullet to the proper depth.

Second, I've read a few reviews where people have had trouble with bullets setting back when their pistols cycle.

So, I loaded up 5 dummy rounds without powder or primer. I checked the OAL with a digital micrometer. BTW, I noticed that my seating depth seemed to vary by 3 thousandths, which I guess isn't bad. I then cycled the bullets through my 1911 and measured again. There was no bullet set back!

I disassembled the rounds and now they're ready for loading.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Measure set back of remaining rounds after a few have been touched off.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Lufbery

Post by Lufbery »

Will do. I'm pretty confident things will be okay. It was a lot of work with the bullet puller to get them pulled!
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

I shoot 45 ACP in both an 1911 pistol and a replica Remington 1875 revolver. I have not had any setback or pull forward issues respectively but I always crimp. I had a 45 Colt pull forward once in the revolver and it wasn't fun. Now I crimp all handgun rounds at least lightly.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I crimp everything, including 9mm and 45 auto (with a Lee, caliber specific, taper crimp die). The revolver cartridges all get a medium/heavy crimp as well as my 30-30 loads. Even if you're not concerned with bullet retention, a decent crimp will greatly improve consistency of powder ignition ... and thus improve your target patterns.

Crimp .... it's a good thing

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.

Return to “Lee Loader®”