Do you wear a respirator?

Tools that represent the "odds and ends" of bullet casting.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Do you wear a respirator?

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:My level got pretty high .......12 I think .
I was layed off for about 5 months 2yr back to back I dropped to a 6 and doubled the amount of casting , loading and shooting I was doing . Turns out my levels were caused by all of lead based oxidized OD green paint I was in 3 hr a day contact with 4 days a week . Took away the OD green paint lead levels dropped .

If you're getting the lead hot enough to vaporize or fume it's WAY TOO hot to cast .
Were you doing the painting?
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I guess just absorbing the oxide from the ancient oxidized paint .
Who knows what else I was wading around in .
I changed addresses during that time also ......

Anyway even with the ongoing casting and shooting the levels went down not up so I'm a happy camper .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

I would be interested in seeing data on people who work in indoor ranges. Our local indoor is talking about changing over to lead free primers only in the next few months. I don't shoot there but that will put a big block in front of local hand loaders as those primers are hard to find. t will also drive up the cost of shooting
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:I would be interested in seeing data on people who work in indoor ranges. Our local indoor is talking about changing over to lead free primers only in the next few months. I don't shoot there but that will put a big block in front of local hand loaders as those primers are hard to find. t will also drive up the cost of shooting
Macd wrote:Answered my own question.
https://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/e ... s_2014.pdf
I read through it pretty quick and then did a word search for "primers," only once is it mentioned and lead-free primers are not part of the recommendations for correcting exposure. They might be shooting themselves in the foot. The question is, are they making the switch to lead-free primers thinking that it will get them around the proper corrective measures such as better ventilation systems?
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

They already have open lead bullets banned. The range is about 5 years old and was built to the requirements of the code set for indoor ranges by the Federal government. I don't think it is a ventilation problem but a residue issue. They probably just had their five year inspection and perhaps it had some negative findings. I joined the range as one of the first members but never actually used it. They decided to open it up to walk-ins and the first day I went in to shoot it looked more like an arcade than a range. I still shop at the store and the owner is the only gunsmith in this area.
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

Thanks for the input guys. Nice windy day and "use my head for more then a hat rack" and there will be some nice range scrap ingots, with no high lead levels. I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.

Return to “Accessories and Other Tools”