Firearm and Ammo Storage Closet Build

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Firearm and Ammo Storage Closet Build

Post by Shooterrick2020 »

I wanted to convert a closet in my office today high density firearm and ammo storage closet. This is going to have to be done and probably three separate posts because of the room for photos but I think you would like to see them. . These are more before pics and you'll see the final product as I go.

The system I decided to install is actually a safe renovation kit. The end result I'm very happy with. . First will be the before and basic construction pics of getting the closet ready to accept mounting hardware for long guns and pistols.

The half inch panels to mount everything to are called project panels that came from Home Depot with birch wood veneer on one side. . I only had to trim one inch off of one of them to fit on the end wall of a closet. They come two foot wide by 4 foot long and are less expensive than buying whole sheets. After cutting 2 size they were clear-coated with four coats of polyurethane to make it easier to clean and not hold dust.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Shooterrick2020 on 01 Nov 2020 11:37, edited 2 times in total.
If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got.
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter

Firearm and ammo Closet Storage part 2

The system I used is a safe renovation System Kit from a company called secureit. It is there steel six safe renovation system. . I would not say this is cheap but neither are my firearms. . I wanted something that not only look good but functioned well and secured everything in place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter

Firearm and ammo storage closet part 3

There will be one more post to this topic after this one but I have a little bit left to do I want to be able to show you the final product. . Everything you see mounted to the grid panels came with the system.
I think I misspoke in an earlier post everything you see mount to the grid accept the storage bins which I purchased separately with dividers came with the system
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Firearm and Ammo Storage Closet Build

Post by GasGuzzler »

Nice documentation. I merged the three topics into one and somehow it looks like I got your posts in order. :)
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter

GasGuzzler wrote:Nice documentation. I merged the three topics into one and somehow it looks like I got your posts in order. :)
Thanks.. supposed to this topic about to be made. Hopefully it all goes together well
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter

Firearm and ammo closet Build part four and Final

The only thing you're not going to see is the new lock set that I'll be putting on the closet door today or tomorrow you also will not see the door sensor that will be tied into my house alarm and will sound a chime if the door is opened . This post will primarily highlight all those things not purchased from secureit. . The ammo storage system I've came up with is simple. The tan boxes in the crates are calibers I shoot on a regular basis. The black ammo cans are long-term storage of those calibers + 2 50 caliber cans for shot shells. There are two purpose designed ammo bags one for rifle and one for shotgun. My large rolling range bag is dedicated primarily to pistols and revolvers. I do not keep it in the closet.

A rechargeable dehumidifier is currently hung from a bungee but will occupy an S hook as soon as I get one. The cloth shoe storage rack on the door it was one of those things that came to me one morning when I woke up. Every squirrel finds a nut now and then and the storage rack 4 shoes was one of mine. It is holding all of my holsters that I use both leather and hybrid Kydex also it is holding 4 fully loaded AK mags + 2 25 round 10/22 mags with plenty of room left over. The pockets are such that it would easily hold a 1911 pistol. The top shelf in the closet is unchanged and holds miscellaneous firearm objects and cleaning gear. I placed two touch lights in the closet one on the ammo side and one on the firearm side.

Overall I'm very happy with the results of the closet. There's alot going on in this small space but it is organized and feels comfortable.
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter

Last minute addition to the storage closet was some S hooks so I can hang up my long gun bags over the long-term ammo storage area. Just enough room to not be in the way. . Revolver in the western holster is an inexpensive heritage 22 mag that I keep oiled in the the holster to keep it from collapsing.

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”