Infrared primer detection on Loadmaster

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
MikelLikesIt
My Press Choice: Progressive

Infrared primer detection on Loadmaster

Post by MikelLikesIt »

EE6EF513-CFFF-4A14-92C2-1466FDFBBC78.jpeg
I saw this idea somewhere and thought I could make it work on my Lee Loadmaster, It uses an auduino infrared detector module, but no auduino. So I wrote up a mini documentation to do it. It is easy to do.

IR sensor board Configured for primer detector
The object here is to notify operator if there is not a primer in the shell when its time to add powder to the shell. It will light a led which probably wont be seen, it will also beep for an audible notice.

Parts list: From Amazon, or suitable parts. Amazon comes in 5 packs for parts, but they are cheap. Build them for your friends, or find other purposes.
* Cylewet SFM-27 DC 3-24V Electronic Buzzer Alarm Sounder Continuous Sound Beep CYT1083.
* DAOKI IR Infrared Obstacle Avoidance Sensor Module for Arduino Smart Car Robot 3-wire.
* LeMotech ABS Plastic Electrical Project Case Power Junction Box, Project Box Black 2.83 x 1.65 x 0.91 inch (72x 42x 23 mm). Box cant exceed 1.7” height to go where I put it.
* 5 volt USB power supply.
* USB cable to remove end to use for power cord.
* Silicone rubber or similar to mount the relocated LED inside the press under the shell plate for the powder station, I used it also to mount the buzzer on the case.
* I used 22 ga 2 conductor wire or similar

BOARD SPECIFICATION
* The output port OUT sensor module can be directly connected to the microcontroller IO port , you can directly drive a 5V relay ;
* the module detects the distance 2 ~ 30cm, detection angle 35°, the distance can detect potential is adjusted (angle is not that wide, thought I read 7°)
* Can be used for 3-5V DC power supply modules
* When the power is turned on, the power indicator light
* Using the comparator LM393. Output is open collector.
* Interface :
* 1. VCC: External 3.3V-5V voltage (can be directly connected to 5v MCU and 3.3v MCU)
* 2. GND: GND External
* 3. OUT: Small board digital output interfaces (0 and 1)
* Connection : VCC-VCC; GND-GND; OUT-IO
* With the screw holes of 3mm , easy fixed installation
* Board Size : 3.1CM * 1.5CM / 1.22 * 0.59″

Wiring the device:
* To VCC: Red wire from the USB cable, red wire from the buzzer.
* To OUT: Black wire on buzzer.
* To GND: Black wire from the USB cable, shield wire from the USB cable. Any other wires from the USB cable can be cut off.
* You need to relocate the Clear LED. Remove the LED from the circuit board, and add a extension wire to it. Install it inside the press underneath the station 3 primer hole so it can see through the primer hole in the shell. Once it is installed, resolder the wire to the circuit board using the same polarity it was mounted with.
Mount the board inside the box paying attention so the led exits the box located in the center of the powder dispensing hole above the LED firing up from the shell plate. My measurements were .12” from the rear of the box.
Page for data on the module https://osoyoo.com/2018/12/21/arduino-l ... ce-module/ has the schematic and all.

The angle on the sensors is tight, but it is easy to align. I put a shell with no primer in the bottom of the expander die and shine the led up through the die into the sensor in the module. Use a dab of silicone rubber to mount the led just to get it held down, then once verified and cured, mount it better. You should be able to run the ram the full length of the press with detection working.
E6AB08B1-941C-4F6A-BB06-F71EC20F980A.jpeg
Any questions, just ask.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Damin69

Re: Infrared primer detection on Loadmaster

Post by Damin69 »

Need something like this for Powder check.
MikelLikesIt

Post by MikelLikesIt »

Was looking into it, need to learn more about the ultrasonic system, but that would take the complete setup, not just a sensor I believe. But I am interested in that, we will see where it goes.

Update: played with the ultrasonic sensor, its stable but not enough resolution. It measures in 1 cm increments, and is too large to fit. But did find one sensor that measures in 1mm increments, but its not baseline stable, +-2mm.Got it down to +-1 mm stability with some changes in code. Writing code now, will see how it works out.
Last edited by MikelLikesIt on 09 Oct 2020 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
MikelLikesIt

Post by MikelLikesIt »

Ok, Ive done some preliminary research on powder detection. I put up another post to ask questions on it, since theres some need to figure out what people really need from it. Accurate measurement is not an option, yet. But the sensor has a 1mm measurement range, but its baseline is not very accurate, its about a 4mm range. But a double charge or no charge should be easily detected. Please see my new post and offer some comments. Thanks.

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”