Gas Check Mounting and Seater

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Gas Check Mounting and Seater

Post by Macd »

As my hands get older along with the rest of my tired old self I find jobs that require a modicum of dexterity quickly cause the fingers to get all fumbly. I was mounting gas checks by hand the other day prior to seating them in a Lee sizer and it wasn't long before they started going on crooked. My frustration level was soon being reached so I gave it up before it became too much of a chore. Gotta be a better way so I decided to create my own starter. Here it is on the press. Nylon thimble drilled and reamed to let check just fit and punch to run up through it with a piece of spring to keep it in position. The washer is simply a spacer to bring thimble to correct height. Right now I have to remove thimble and spring each time to press home the bullet up through the sizer and crimp the check. As soon as I can I will make a longer punch and spring so that isn't necessary. It works perfectly as check and bullet are held in line by the thimble. As an added bonus I didn't drop one check on the floor.
Gs check seater..jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Gas Check Mounting and Seater

Post by Old Scribe »

Neat!
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

That is really cool. Nice work. Amazing how many things we can come up with when faced with a challenge. I had an issue where they were seating but they would get messed up going through the sizer, so I bought an NOE gas check seater. I am actually glad I did even though I hate to spend the money. Your fix does the same thing at much less cost. Very cool.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Version 2.0. Longer stem/plug and spring. Stem is sweat fitted into an extra case holder I had on hand. Added washers to space and help maintain thimble orientation. Rubber grommet cushions components and press from the hard stop when the spring is fully compressed. I intend to replace spring with one that has a tighter fit around shaft and more spaced and stronger coils.
Gas Check Seater V2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AlaskanGuy
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by AlaskanGuy »

This is really cool sir... I want one..
Any technology, not understood, can seem like magic....
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

AlaskanGuy wrote:This is really cool sir... I want one..
Me too

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”