Lee Lock Ring Mod

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Lee Lock Ring Mod

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ranch Dog wrote:
daboone wrote:I'm I the only one who likes Lee's lock rings? I use them on my non Lee presses.
Nope, I like them and don't have any problems with them. I tighten and loosen them with a Titan wrench. Don't need to touch the die and the rings stay where they were put.
Same here. I have MUCH more variance due to untrimmed pistol brass than dies moving. Like many issues with Lee products, I wonder if the directions are being followed or do people just know how to because of experience. If Lee stuff is different by design (usually the case) than another brand, I read the instructions because chances are there is a detail not obvious or different than any other brand.

Throw one of these in your cart the next time you make an order with Titan ---> Titan Reloading Lee Die Lock Nut Finger Wrench
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

The only time I find the Lee "O" ring system a pain is in the seating die. It is hard to hold the die from turning slightly when tightening the locknut. Not a big deal for a 30-06 case but more of an issue in the .223 where variation in seating depth has more impact.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:The only time I find the Lee "O" ring system a pain is in the seating die. It is hard to hold the die from turning slightly when tightening the locknut. Not a big deal for a 30-06 case but more of an issue in the .223 where variation in seating depth has more impact.
Dude, you need that Titan wrench.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Macd wrote:The only time I find the Lee "O" ring system a pain is in the seating die. It is hard to hold the die from turning slightly when tightening the locknut. Not a big deal for a 30-06 case but more of an issue in the .223 where variation in seating depth has more impact.
Dude, you need that Titan wrench.
Yes. It looks like the solution.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Ranch Dog wrote: Dude, you need that Titan wrench.
So what does the Titan wrench do that can't be done by tightening the locking nut "finger tight" by hand per the instructions?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:
So what does the Titan wrench do that can't be done by tightening the locking nut "finger tight" by hand per the instructions?
With one hand you can hold the die in place, and with the other, tighten the ring down with the wrench. Tighter than possible by hand.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Ranch Dog wrote:
klr wrote:
With one hand you can hold the die in place, and with the other, tighten the ring down with the wrench. Tighter than possible by hand.
Thanks. I'm constantly loading a few of this and that on my single stage press, so I prefer a ring that locks solidly to the die.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Looks like I'm going against the grain here, but I'll show a couple of ways I modified my lock rings.

First: The pinch method. I milled a pocket and installed a 4-40 screw. It works fine.

Second, The set screw method. I used a soft 4-40 screw and ground a taper on the end. Then I picked a spot on the ring so that the point would tighten into the valley of the threads on the die. It doesn't take much to lock the ring solid and I don't see how that small soft screw is going to chew up the hard steel of the die body. I can't see any evidence of it marring the die threads. I'll bet a brass screw would work too.

See how the tip of the screw was deformed by the valley of the die? I tightened this a dozen or more times about as tight as I dared without stripping the threads. No marks on the die.

If you like the original Lee system: Congrats! If not, I hope this helps.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Nice work!
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

klr I doubt you did but do you keep the O-ring with this mod? I wish I has your skill to do these sort of mods.

I've had problems with soft set screws on the Forster "pinch type" lockring's phillips heads screw. I had to replace them with stronger screws to prevent mauling the phillips screwdriver insert even with mild torque.

As far as lockrings set screws maring threads I've used lead shot and small pieces of airsoft pellets on RCBS lockrings to prevent die thread deformation for those RCBS dies.

CO-AX press does require setscrew lockrings. My SS, progressive and turret don't. As RD has mentioned the Titan gadget really works for me.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”