Custom Seating Stems - Question

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Custom Seating Stems - Question

Post by Macd »

Over the years I have had to make or modify a few seating stems because I can't adjust them down enough to seat the bullet as deep as required in the case or the bullet shape otherwise causes seating inconsistencies. The latest issue was seating pistol bullets in a 35 Rem case. I have been toying with the idea of making a stem with the ability to accept custom inserts for my most popular bullets and calibres. Any ideas on how to go about this that doesn't involve a lathe? I have a very accurate drill press. Epoxy inserts maybe or aluminum? Obviously alignment is going to be very important.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Custom Seating Stems - Question

Post by daboone »

Use the seating die stem and epoxy or hot glue. Just a little blob of either on top on the stem, smear a little oil, wax or grease on the desired bullet and you've got a custom seaters. Easy to remove and replace for another bullet design, or just order extra stems. Works for me.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Has anyone ever used Lee's service? If you did several at once, you would only get banged for one shipping charge. Since I switched all my non-30-30 Wins to jacketed bullets, this has been on my to do list. I would like to have eight custom plugs made and this seems the best way to do it.

"Send $14.00 along with a sample bullet, and order “Custom Seating Plug for Sample Bullet” ($8.00 for the bullet + $6.00 for shipping)"

If it is just a matter of the existing plug not being long enough, a 7/16" steel ball on top of the stem works great.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

This project is getting close to the trial stage. I have decided to try these couplers that are use for making trophies as the main part of the plug. Call it the stem. They come in 3/4 to 1 1/4 inch lengths. They have internal 1/4-20 threads. At the top of the stem will go a 1/4-20 carriage bolt with the head reduced to the correct diameter to fit loosely in the adjusting button on the die. This will allow some self centering as well as adjustment for length. The business end (bullet) will either be liquid steel cast right onto the stem and into its internal threads or a turned aluminum plug that is reduced and threaded at on end. The bullet seating recesses will be drilled with a pilot hole, them drilled/reamed to rough size and shape and finished with valve grinding compound to fit the specific bullet.

It may not work but the fun is in trying.
COUPLERS1.jpg
FER100S.jpg
Bolt.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

So I tried my first seating plug/stem using the joiners noted in the previous post. I am going to abandon the use of the joiners for a number of reasons. First, I can only buy them online and in lots of 100 pieces. Second, I made a plug from one that I already had and it just took too much time. Finally, when finishing the insert made of liquid steel it broke off of the body. The narrow part that is in the threaded centre of the body just isn't strong enough.

I hate to give in so I went to the local metals supplier and bought some 3/8 (.375) brass rod. I cut off a 2 inch length and chucked it in my drill press so 1 -1/2 inches was proud. I squared the end and took the rod down to .355 using a mill file. This gives it a loose fit it the standard sized adjusting cap used for the Lee dies. I cut the reduced section off and squared and beveled the cut end. The other was drilled progressively up to 19/64 and then reamed out to .313 using a countersink reamer to a depth of approximately .375. The hole was filled with epoxy (JB Weld) and a bullet (158 grain TC) coated with a release agent was pressed into the JB Weld and the excess epoxy cleaned off with acetone. The drill press was used as the press. After 4 hours curing the bullet was removed and the edge of the recess rounded using some fine wet dry paper. After 24 hours the recess was lapped with fine lapping compound to give it a slack fit to allow for bullet diameter variations. The result is a custom seating plug for this bullet for loading in 35 Remington cases. The important point to all this was solving the problem of seating these pistol bullets with a rifle die that could not be adjusted down far enough to get the proper seating depth.
Seating Plug 1.jpg
Seating Plug 2.jpg
My next one will be for the Berries HP's in the 9mm. Handgun seating plugs are made and fit into the die differently than rifle plugs. In the 9mm it means more metal removal and perhaps a larger diameter rod. Oh how I wish I had bought a mini-lathe when I had a chance to get a really good used one for a great price.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Finished 9mm plug for Berry's HP's. Tested it and variation in seating depth is now no more than that in bullet length.

First picture (#2) is new versus old plug, The old plug drops down into the channel of the die and then is pushed up by the bullet until the flat upper surface comes up against the rim of the die adjusting cap. My version has a wide ring in the middle of the plug which prevents the plug from dropping through the die but still allows the lower portion to engage the bullet top after the shell casing has entered the die. The lower portion is long enough to allow the seating depth to be adjusted to below the COL of 1.060 I use for the HP bullet however it allows substantially more of the case to enter the die before the bullet is engaged than the original plug.
9mm Plug 2.jpg
Second picture (#1) shows the profile of the recess in both plugs. The original is obviously intended for a round nose bullet. My replacement has a flat engagement surface more suitable for HP and TC bullets.
9mm Plug 1.jpg
Final picture (#3) is the full seating assembly. The TC jacketed bullet acts a a spacer. I had originally planned on using the same profile as the stock plug with its flat head. The 3/8 stock rod I am using just isn't wide enough to leave a wide enough head. I decided to make the plug fit up into the adjusting cap as it does in rifle dies. The same plug will work for TC bullets in 38 Special and 357 Mag so I made the top portion short and found the TC bullet a perfect spacer.
9mm Plug 3.jpg
Next plug will be for 40 grain Nosler BT's for a .223 Remington. Adjusted down all the way the factory plug leaves these out too far. The plastic tips on the BT's are fragile and the recess in the custom plug will have to account for this but still be shallow and narrow enough to engage the bullet surface as completely as possible.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've got to admire your determination and it looks like you have arrived. I've been silently watching this, okay crunching a bit of popcorn. So, for a fellow like me with the attention span of a raccoon; is this the better route?

"Send $14.00 along with a sample bullet, and order “Custom Seating Plug for Sample Bullet” ($8.00 for the bullet + $6.00 for shipping)."

I need to get them ordered if I'm going to do it. I need stems for seven bullets, one of them copied three times for a total of ten.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Ranch Dog wrote:I've got to admire your determination and it looks like you have arrived. I've been silently watching this, okay crunching a bit of popcorn. So, for a fellow like me with the attention span of a raccoon; is this the better route?

"Send $14.00 along with a sample bullet, and order “Custom Seating Plug for Sample Bullet” ($8.00 for the bullet + $6.00 for shipping)."

I need to get them ordered if I'm going to do it. I need stems for seven bullets, one of them copied three times for a total of ten.

For you probably yes but for me by the time I add shipping, exchange, customs fee and taxes it starts to get pricey. Besides I just like tinkering. This all would be so easy if I had access to a lathe. Now that I have the steps down I figure about 2 hours per plug.

Yes I hate to give in. I call in perseverance. My wife calls it stubborn :)
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Keeps you busy!
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I know I'm just lazy ......... I've found on a couple seaters , and I don't remember which one's just now , that it was as simple as flipping the seating stem over but that only works for flat nose bullets . I've found that on other brands of modern production , as in new since 1980 or so , that the seating stem needed to have the conture changed and or the "cup" edge broken to an angle greater than the ogive .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”