Mould Mods - 2C Handle Pins and Sprue-Plate Set-Screw

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
Jeff H
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Mould Mods - 2C Handle Pins and Sprue-Plate Set-Screw

Post by Jeff H »

I did a search and didn't see what I intended to share - exactly. Not that my way is more right than others, but it does work and I'm pleased with the performance.

First mod I do on LEE 2C moulds is to install a 8-32 set screw to hold the sprue plate screw in place. I remove the sprue plate screw to clean a new mould and, once it's been messed with, it never seems to stay where you put it. This is a simple operation, so I won't go into detail unless asked, but I will share that when drilling/tapping aluminum, filling the flutes of the twist drill or tap with Crisco makes the job easy and the cuts are shiny and smooth. The shortening not only lubes, but it also captures the chips. If the chips get between the drill or tap and the walls of the hole, the hole will get bigger. Do NOT leave it (the shortening) on your tooling in the shop because the mice will be at it and leave you little brown presents on your work surfaces.

Second mod is new to me. I just got two moulds from Michael; (2) C309-113 2Cs. One has become a plain base mould and the other will retain the GC rebate but one cavity will get the HP treatment.

The "new" blocks are retained, as most of you know, by a weird, hybrid pin/sorta-screw, which can sometimes be removed with a hex wrench. I removed the blocks before reaming the GC shank out - one by hex wrench and the other by drill. It wasn't cooperating with the wrench at all.

A #29 drill will clear the pin hole in the handle tongs, completely remove the "threads" of the pin in the top of the block and leave a thin shell of the pin in the bottom hole of the blocks which easily wiggled out with a pair of needle-nose pliers. I used a #29 drill thinking I would tap it for an 8-32 screw to replace the pins I removed. The hex-shaped recess in the pins centers the drill very effectively.

Ended up taking the advice of a fella on another forum and used roll pins instead in stead of screws to re-attach the blacks to the handles. Using a 5/32" or #22 twist drill, I opened the pins holes in the blocks and went right on through the top so I could remove them later if I wished. 5/32"x3/4" roll pins are perfect. I used a #18 drill to clearance the holes in the handle tongs. These drill sizes, and the roll pin size are about max for what material you have to work with on the LEE 2C moulds.

This was my first experience with the newer 2C mold blocks.
Jeff H
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Mould Mods - 2C Handle Pins and Sprue-Plate Set-Screw

Post by Jeff H »

This was why I removed the mould blocks from the handles in the first place- to ream the gas check shank to make a plain base. The outsides of these blocks are all over the place - hard to get a reference as to what is square, so I had to assume that at least the top of the mould was perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the cavity. Pain in the neck to get all squared up on a drill press, but both cavities' modification came out concentric. Two unsized on the left, two sized on the right.

Then, I forgot to get a pic of the roll pins in place. :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

That sounds awesome. What problems did you fix?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Jeff H
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Jeff H »

GasGuzzler wrote:That sounds awesome. What problems did you fix?
Problem 1:
Mainly the one I created when I removed the pins from the block to convert the mould to plain-base. The pins can be re-used an epoxied back in place, but I'd obliterated one because I had to drill it out. The roll pins can be removed/replaced without having to drill/tap for a screw. That was "Fiver's" idea from another forum. I was going to use screws. This is much easier and works very nicely.

Problem 1.5:
That it wasn't a plain-base bullet wasn't exactly a "problem," but I guess not having one was.

Problem 2:
The sprue plat set screw keeps the sprue plate from backing out as you cast. I've been doing that mod on all LEE 2Cs for a long time now. About the time you're in the groove and have your tempo, the sprue plate gets loose and starts causing problems. Maybe if you never touch the sprue plate screw it'll stay in place, but I always end up having to remove a sprue plate to flatten it or take burrs off.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'd like pics of the sprue plate mod. I have experienced that problem. Thank you.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Jeff H
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Jeff H »

GasGuzzler wrote:I'd like pics of the sprue plate mod. I have experienced that problem. Thank you.
I'll get those for you tonight, GG. If you have a drill press, it's a fairly quick and pretty easy modification which has saved me a ton of aggravation at the casting bench. It's also one you could do without a drill press if you are careful.
Jeff H
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Jeff H »

LEE 6C Set Screw.jpg
LEE 2C Set Screw.jpg
GasGuzzler wrote:I'd like pics of the sprue plate mod. I have experienced that problem. Thank you.
This works on both 2C and 6C, and I have personally found it to be necessary on both. I tried 10-32, 10-24 and 8-32 set screws but settled on 8-32 as an optimum for the "meat" available on the moulds. The finer thread is not a problem because you don't have to torque these tightly. Most guys drop a snip of solid copper wire into the hole so the set screw threads don't dig into the sprue plate screw threads. I use a single #4 lead shot I've flattened slightly. Does it melt? I don't know. It does conform to the threads and holds securely for years and I have yet to solder a set screw to a sprue plate screw. Snug it up, cast a bit and snug it up again and it should keep the sprue plate screw right where you want it.

I have done this with 6C alignment pins as well. Grind a narrow flat on the alignment pin after marking it with the set screw. Once in a while an alignment pin just won't stay put. The set-screw keeps it in place.

If anyone has any questions, please ask. I am omitting detail because even when I am trying to be brief, my posts end up long. I don't mind explaining. Some guys know the ropes on this work and don't need the detail, some don't know....

**EDIT**
Thank you GG! You saved one of my favorite moulds! When I decided to dig the 6C out, I noticed I'd set my Lyman 1C 429421 (a Lyman that actually casts a bullet big enough for my Bulldog) looked out of place. I picked it up and it had RUST on it! :o

Apparently, when I was done using it last winter, I set it in there intending to use it again soon or just forgot to wipe it down. If you hadn't asked for a photo, it would have sat in there and wasted away until I had a chance to cast with it again - which wouldn't be until December or January.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jeff H on 27 Aug 2018 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thank you for detailing this out Jeff. Very nice work!
Michael
Jeff H
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Jeff H »

And now, a couple shots of the roll pins:

My apologies for the butchery to the top of the mould. This mishap occurred part way into a test-cast session and it kills me to look at it. The sprue plate had been deburred and smoothed and I had rubbed a soapstone on the underside of it. Whatever stuck and scratched the mould blocks fell off and I never saw it. I open the sprue plate with a gloved hand, turn the mould over to dump the sprue into the glove and then leave the mould upside down to dump the bullets. I turn it right side up as I close the sprue plate, so I don't see much of the top of the mould when on a roll. Only takes a few swings and you have ugliness. How in the world anything stuck to that sprue plate is beyond me, but it did and I missed it. :oops:
New LEE 2C Roll Pin-002.jpg
LEE New 2C Roll Pin-001.jpg
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Makes sense. I couldn't see how replacing the sprue plate screw with a set screw would help at all......but you're on a different plane.

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”